Making wood filler

Anyone have suggestions for making my own wood filler? I am making white oak furniture and have a few small gaps and nicks I will need to fill. No store bought products seem to be working very well. A woodworker friend suggested sanding some white oak and mixing the dust with 2# Shellac to make a paste. Another friend claims that will be too shiny and I should mix it with something else. Any of you fine woodworkers have any thoughts? Thanks, Steve
Steve Goodin wrote:

Mix glue and the sawdust from the project your gluing. works great! But you may have a hard time getting it to take stain.
Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
EvoDawg wrote:

"EvoDawg" wrote...

will
you
Use hide glue.
--
Cheers,
Howard

Remove CC for email and please visit our web site:
http://www.robswoodworking.com
Rob Stokes wrote...

I have added corn starch to counter the darkening effect. Sand a couple test patches to get the mix right, but it's often close to equal parts with the wood dust. Bandsaw dust works great.
Jim
shellac probably will be too shiny. I would try colored wax fillers. The wax is hard and is mineral based [ozerkite ? spelling?] so finishes will take over it. Available at most finishing supply houses in a myriad of colors. fill the voids and rub out with oooosteel wool with mineral spirits if necessary. -- mike hide

I have taken sawdust from various woods and mixed it into a plain plasticwood, but only to fill very small nicks and imperfections.
Dave