Making Shawl Pins

This will appear to be a dumb question, but when it comes to small projects, I sometimes shoot blanks.
I view these photos of shawl pins http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&rlz=&=&q=wood+shawl+pin&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw 81&bih†8&tbm=isch and think, "why can't I make them?" Then think I would need more detailed type tools, which I don't really have, I think. Therefore, what would you suggest as required tools needed to make these small items or could they mostly be finished by old fashioned hand shaping and sanding?
Add pictures here
✖
Never thought about making shawl pins. Would be some nice little projects to try.
For making just a few, hand cutting the basic forms, maybe initial sanding with a drill attachment or similar detail sander, then hand sanding the final form shouldn't be too difficult.
If producing many dozens, a few dedicated tools for the series of specific tasks would certainly be a benefit and probably called for. A dedicated work station and tool for each task. I would think the final form finishing would entail hand sanding only.
A dremel tool, a small sanding attachment for a hand drill, maybe a small wheel sander/buffer of some sort. I would need to do a few to start to get an idea of what tool would work best for each task. Maybe even fabricate your own dedicated tool for some unusual design task.
As for finish coatings, pins made of different woods would/may need different finishes, so dedicated finishing stations would be a benefit, also.
Make a few simple forms, by hand, and decide what tools might make the hand tasks go faster or do a better job.
Would some sort of small vise be needed, also..... maybe one whose jaws are padded or leather lined, so as not to mar the delicate work.
Sonny
Add pictures here
✖
Meanie wrote:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&rlz=&=&q=wood+shawl+pin&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw 81&bih†8&tbm=isch
whittling. I think Chinese and Korean ones are blunt ended and Japanese are pointed.
--
G.W. Ross

'Bother,' said Pooh, as he saw the
✖

✖
and whatever they call the main item).

Clasp?
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/22/2012 5:51 PM, Meanie wrote:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&rlz=&=&q=wood+shawl+pin&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw 81&bih†8&tbm=isch
For the more simply one, chuck one of G. W.'s whittled down chopsticks, or any other thin cut stock, in a power drill or drill press, grab some sandpaper, and ....
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Meanie wrote:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&rlz=&=&q=wood+shawl+pin&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw 81&bih†8&tbm=isch
I think the vast majority of those to which you linked were probably made in 3rd world countries by hand, possibly assisted with a rudimentary lathe.
If I wanted to do the same, I'd get...
1. a good knife
2. a small lathe such as those used to make pens (if you want the pins to be symmetrical or if you want round clasps)
3. a jigsaw (for the clasps, both for thickness and shape)
4. a small belt/disc combo sander, something like 1" belt, 6" disc
You would also need a way to drill holes in the clasp and a way to get the material to rough size for the pins. Buffing and sanding wheels for the lathe would be handy and could replace the sander.
If you wanted to mass produce clasps of a particular shape a small router and made by you templates would work.
And yes, all could be made by hand, not that hard, just time intensive.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Sunday, December 23, 2012 8:06:44 AM UTC-6, dadiOH wrote:

And/or small scroll saw?
Add pictures here
✖
Sonny wrote:

I call a scroll saw a jig saw. Whet you probably call a jig saw is what I call a saber saw. so yes, a scroll/jig saw.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

If I were making these, I would do all by hand. I think the nature of the item requires each to be individual and unique. More time consuming but ultimately more rewarding. Just my, right pondian, 2P's worth.
YMMV.
I very much enjoy this group. Best wishes to all for a happy Cristmas and a better new year.
Nick.
Add pictures here
✖
I decided to try making one and to my own surprise, it's not bad. I practiced on a piece of pine, used the BS for the outline cut, drilled a hole for the center, used the scroll saw for the inner outline cut and sanded, partially power sanding and finished hand sanding with emery cloth and will use a finer grit for final sanding. Though I have a lathe, the idea of using the drill chuck and sanding the pin while spinning was good and worked well, then I hand sanded the rest since the shape of the head differed.
Overall, not being a wordworking expert, especially compared to some of the work I've seen from many of you, I'm pleased with it thus far. I'll see what it looks like after a final sanding then a finish.Practice makes perfect and I may try to develop a system and make more. The wife is a knitter and likes them. If I become good, I could sell a few.
Thanks for the inputs.
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/23/2012 1:49 PM, Meanie wrote:

Alway nice to hear someone followup on the results ... thanks for doing that and Merry Christmas.