Making Pine Look Like Teak

I own several pieces of teak vintage modern furniture, and also have previously built a couple of very simple pine board bookcases. I would like to finish them (ideally with some sort of rub-on oil) so that they match more or less in color with the reddish teak I have. I realize that pine and teak are very different woods, but I am only looking for a superficial resemblance. Is there an oil I can buy or mix to make my shelves match?
Thanks a lot for your help!
Andrew Barthle
Add pictures here
βœ–
Is there an oil I can buy or mix to make my [pine] shelves match [my teak furniture]?
No, not really.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Just put a coat of JOAT yellow on everything and it will all match.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Sat, Mar 5, 2005, 3:09pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@snet.net (Edwin Pawlowski) says: Just put a coat of JOAT yellow on everything and it will all match.
That's basically a good idea. Except, now I'm thiniking of using red for furniture, and saving the yellow for the shop.
Paint it red. Vintage modern red.
βœ–
Is this like "jumbo shrimp" or "military intelligence"?
Gerry
Add pictures here
βœ–
G.E.R.R.Y. wrote:

Not really. "Modern" in design usually refers to a specific period from the 40s to the 60s and the schools that characterize it. By that standard we're 'post modern'. So yeah, I'd say 50-year-old modern furniture is 'vintage modern'.
--RC
Add pictures here
βœ–
Rick Cook wrote:

Also known as the Fugly period. :)
βœ–

Well, not everything that Hans Wegner & friends did was great, but there were some really nice pieces. Like anything else that gets overdone, there are some 'unfortunates'. See the recent thread regarding some of the A&C sideboards for examples.
Patriarch, who remembers some of that era, and is glad that we survived, in many ways.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Cover it with teak veneer.
Add pictures here
βœ–
I vote for the veneer method. <g>
Dave
Andrew Barthle wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–

Alright, thanks a lot. I'll look into the veneer. That's actually how one of the pieces is made anyhow. I might as well go through the extra effort to make my house look nice and stop being lazy. <sigh>
Andrew
Add pictures here
βœ–

It might be easier, cheaper, and look better, to just go to Scandinavian Designs, or Ikea or similar, and buy the new bookshelves. Knocked down in a box.
Move the pine stuff to another portion of the house.
Tastes change. All the time. Save the shop work for something important, and creative of your own.
Or not.
Patriarch
Add pictures here
βœ–
If we can be serious for a minute, a few years ago I donated a bench or end table to the auction for the benefit of a choral society, pine or white oak or such. The woman who bought it asked for a bench for her bedroom, and could I make it match her teak furniture as well as I could. So I gave it a try. I started with a Behlen hickory stain, and played around with mixtures. I added some medium mahogany, and got closer, but too red. Finally added some green, and got a pretty good color on white oak. Customer liked it.
Steve
said:

Add pictures here
βœ–
Andrew Barthle wrote:

Or you could just go buy some Acme Teak-in-a-Can, spray, and be finished. :)
βœ–
I made some hickory look like teak with a combination of stain and dye. For the time I spent getting it right, it would have been cheaper to have just used teak.
Good luck.
Add pictures here
βœ–