Making a table saw square

Hi. Are there any tricks to adjusting a table saw so it is perfectly square? We have an overhead table saw (the blade is not in the table) that isn't quite square, and my father said years ago he even had someone out to try and make it cut true to 90 degrees, but it is still just a tiny bit off. The saw was bought in the 70's but is still in top shape. I think it is made by Rockwell.
Also I bought a cheapo mitre saw at Lowes (I think it is a Makita) with the laser sight. I have the same problem with it. I loosen the nuts on the fence and try to adjust it, but the fence just seems to keep sliding back to the same position, and I'm left with slightly crooked cuts. Funny enough, the problem is about the same on the table saw and the mitre saw.
Is there a "right" way to adjust these things so they are true, or is it more trial and error?
thanks, dwhite
Dan White wrote:

When you say "overhead table saw" do you mean something like this <http://www.deltawoodworking.com/index.asp?e 6&p2>? If so, that's called a "Radial Arm Saw" and there is a very good ebook about adjusting them at <http://www.deltawoodworking.com/index.asp?e 6&p2> and another that covers adjustment of some models and a lot about using them at <http://www.mrsawdust.com/ .

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

someone
tiny
another
Yes, I remembered "radial arm" just after posting (idiot)! Not to be dense, but can you tell me where the ebook is located on that website? I looked around in the FAQ and literature request and didn't see it.
thanks for your help!
dwhite

back
enough,
Dan White wrote:

Oops. I cut and pasted and then didn't look at what I had done to make sure that I pasted the right link. Instead of repeating the delta link I meant to put <http://www.wired-2-shop.com/joneakes/ProductDetail.asp?ProdID=3&nPrdImageID=&CatID=3

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
J. Clarke wrote: snip...

<http://www.wired-2-shop.com/joneakes/ProductDetail.asp?ProdID=3&nPrdImageID=&CatID=3
Yes! I was scrounging for this link when I saw the request for info.
This is an excellent book and and should be considered required reading for anyone starting off with a RAS. Many useful calibration techniques as well as limb saving recommendations.
Ed
I have the book on paper, and it's far, far better than any other radial arm saw book I've ever seen in stores or libraries.
Doug

table)
adjusting
them
looked
sure
<http://www.wired-2-shop.com/joneakes/ProductDetail.asp?ProdID=3&nPrdImageID =&CatID=3>
with
Hi Dan,
Yes, there are some tricks. There are a number of adjustments on a radial arm saw that depend on the accuracy of previous adjustments. If you don't follow the proper sequence, or a previous step is done inaccurately, then you will not obtain the results you desire. Normally, you want to avoid any alignment or adjustment procedures which are order dependent but in this case it's unavoidable.
The manual for my RS-Aligner product might help you. You can find it at:
http://www.ts-aligner.com/RS-Aligner%20Manual.pdf
You don't need to own an RS-Aligner to follow these same steps, it just makes the process easier and more accurate.
I did a big long article here in the newsgroup a few years back. Here is a link which should call it up for you:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/msg/8120ffc2bc9b016c
Please ignore the links/addresses with "primenet" in them. Let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks, Ed Bennett snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com
http://www.ts-aligner.com Home of the TS-Aligner
Dan White wrote:

table) that

out to

bit off.

is
with the

the
back to

enough,
it
Great info. Thanks!
dwhite

If both saws are out by the same little bit, the problem may be with your measuring device. Not every that is sold as "square" is truly square. As a matter of fact I recently purchase a try square that was considerably out when I got it home and checked it. However, my cheapo speed square used for framing tested dead on, go figure.
John C.