Making a Fish Tank Stand

Hi All

I am looking at making a fish tank stand and hood for a new aquarium I am about to purchase. I want it to be about 3-4 feet and this is kinda what I am after:

  1. open stand at the bottom with a simple shelf
  2. a hood with a small opening at the back (I have a cat so this is a requirement)
  3. a kind've setup so the tank sits in a wooden enclosure (but can see into tank from all sides).....hard to describe....kinda like there is wood up the right angle bits (up the side edges)

I know there have been numerous posts about this but was wondering if anybody had a plan/pattern to match (not necc identical but similar) to what I have described.

Also, what kind of timber would be suitable (I was thinking pine).

I have done google searches and found plenty of plans for stands....but without the wood up the side angles.

If anybody has any patterns/plans or suggestions they would be greatyl appreciated

TIA

Angela

Reply to
Gizela

The inexpensive stands in the aquarium shops are typically pine. Occasionally I see maple (even birdseye) and oak stands from companies like Oceanic. Then there are the non-mass produced "custom" stands in any material your heart desires. Pine seems to be fine from a structural standpoint, and plans really shouldn't be necessary. Aquarium stands require only very basic cabinet construction technique. The beauty in making your own should be in the freedom of making something unique that you DON'T see in the shops - something that looks more like a piece of furniture than a just a fish tank stand. :-)

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Sounds like you're going with a 55 or 75 gallon? No plans but a few hints.

If you're going to put his on a wood joist floor system, either locate the legs right on the joists or (if they don't land that way) use an "apron" on the bottom to distribute the weight. If it's going to be on concrete, don't worry abotu it.

The risers on the side aren't necessary for supporting the hood. The hood just sits on top of the tank and the glass/plexi will support it. If you like the look, just get some outside corner molding and cut it so it fits via friction after you have the tank on the stand and the hood on the tank.

You might reconsidert the idea of the open stand. It's nice to have a couple of doors to hide the nets, food, extra filter pads, etc.

Reply to
PM6564

Any wood will do. Most finishes are very toxic to fish until they cure. To be absolutely safe, allow the finish to cure in an airy locations for several weeks. I'd prefer an enclosure for net, food, syphen hoses, algae scraper, bucket and other supplies. I think hoods can make a tank look top-heavy, especially if they are dark in color. Select wood/finish that looks well with other furniture and furnishing in the room. I have seen stands with support only on the perimeter. Make a few visits to aquarium stores and websites to get ideas for construction and styles.

Reply to
Phisherman

I built one for my son about 15 years ago and made it out of 2x6 redwood frame and 1x4 glued up panels and doors it has been moved several time and no problems It holds a 55 gal tank

Reply to
Harvey Ulmer