Making a drum sander, problem truing the drum

Ok, making a drum sander than I found here:

only difference is that I'm making it approx 24" wide... I've got it all built, but having trouble truing the drum. I get an ocillation effect when then drum hits the sand paper, and I get a bunch of flat spots on the drum all the way around it. It's kind of like a washboard effect on a dirt road.

Any advice for this?

Reply to
Larry Bud

Larry I made one of those a million years ago. I chucked the hole assembled drum head in the lathe and trued it up. If you can't do that can you glue sandpaper to a board and run the drum without paper and feed the sandpaper glued to the board under the drum? max

Reply to
max

If the drum is vibrating you are either taking too big a cut or the axle shaft you chose is too small a diameter. These drum sanders can only sand a few thousands at a time max

Reply to
max

I was looking at this plan the other day... seems pretty good if directions are followed...

A- Are all of your disks round and of the same size?

B- Did you follow the instructions regarding truing the drum on the sandpaper attached to the bed, or whatever?

I was thinking of turning the drum on a lathe, but that's a precision chore... maybe truing it up on a lathe or DP after it's glued up?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

BTW, how much did you spend on this project with or without the motor?

Thanks

Reply to
WD

Yes. I cut them all with a router.

Yes, that's what I'm trying to do, is to true it up by putting sandpaper on the bed.

Max had a suggestion that I was taking too much off at once... That's a possibility.

I don't see how that helps. The point of truing it is to make sure it's parallel to the bed.

As far as cost, pretty minimal. I built it out of 2x4, except for the support for the pillow block bearings, which I used Ash. Bought the bearings on ebay for under $20.

Also bought the motor on ebay. 1.5 HP, single phase, for $50 plus 15 for shipping!

The table I already had from another product. 2" thick, with a laminate. Maybe spend another $10 on hardware for the lift mechanism, already had the piano hinge... The belt and pulleys were perhaps another $20 from an online place... So maybe I'm into this $125 with motor??

It'll be interesting to see how well it works.

Reply to
Larry Bud

Perhaps too big a cut... Seemed like the vibration was VERY sudden, however. I'm wondering if I have the feet/min of the drum too fast as well...

Reply to
Larry Bud

For $125 you got a good deal. I would have gone ahead and make my own, if my original estimate was not $400. However, late last year I came across a Ryobi 16/32 at Ebay I bid and got it for $400 plus excluding shipping. it run exactly like a Performax 16/32.

Good job! I hope you will overcome the problem truing the drum.

Reply to
WD

Oops, I for got to ask you when did you bought the 1.5hp on Ebay, I was lurking on and off for a long time waiting to bid for one. I also forgot to add the drum sander is brand NEW.

Reply to
WD

Assuming that there is insigificant play in the drum assembly, the most like cause is that the drum is still out of round. Feed the drum gently onto the sandpaper, give it time to work and it will round itself out.

When rounding slow speeds and feeds are the way to go.

rcook5

change speeds.

Reply to
bridger

Maybe "truing" was the wrong word.... What I'd want to do first is be sure that all the disks were round and identical.... It seems like if even one disk was out of round or out of line in the glueup, it could provide enough variation to not sand flat??

As in wood turning, you can have something parallel to the bed that isn't necessarily treu/round and lined up with the shaft... it can be off center and still parallel, I think... Hell, it's too late at night to have to think.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

precision

Again, that's what the point of truing the drum is. The sandpaper goes on the table, and as the drum turns the high spots hit the sandpaper, and eventually the drum is a perfect circle relative to the centerline.

I finally got it to work last night. What I did was take a 50 grit belt sander disk, contact cement it to a piece of 1/2" hardboard the same size as the belt.

I first drew some relief marks on the drum with a pencil as the drum rotated so I could see high and low spots. Then I raised the table so the belt just touched the drum, and moved it along the length of the drum (with the hardboard down on the table). Stopped the machine and checked to see if there were still low spots. If there was, I'd raise the table by probably about .05" and repeat.

This worked better because the whole drum didn't grab the piece of sand paper as was happening before...

Took about an hour to get it completely round.. Just waiting for my velcro and sand paper strip to come it to complete this project.

Reply to
Larry Bud

Good job :-) You should take pics before and after you have completed the project and post it in abpw. I am sure many of us would like to admire your handicraft and possibly questions about the construction of your drum sander.

Reply to
WD

That's great.... I guess it gets back to an earlier reply that suggested that the cuts might have been too aggressive... I've been guilty of that on the lathe, where light cuts true and aggressive cuts follow the wood and accent don't..

Let us know how it does when it's up and running... I've thought of making one for things like drawer faces and other thin stuff..