Magnets from old PCs?

Page 1 of 2

Are there usable magnets in old computers that might be good for making things in a woodshop - like magnetic featherboards? And if so, are they worth the trouble of getting them out?
JP

Yup, in the hard drives.

Couple screws, 10 minutes per drive maybe, 2 very strong magnets. The blood blisters are a free benefit if you choose to look at it that way.
Dave Hinz
Dave Hinz wrote:

Be careful about letting the magnets slam into each other, they will crack and-or chip. The older larger ones will hold together with my hand in between, awes the grandkids to see it 'sticking' to my hand. Joe
Thanks. I think I'll take a crack at one of them and see what it's like. Further bulletins as events warrant. (FBAEW?.....Hmmm...what's the process by which a new acronym is added to the compendium of usenet jargon?)
JP ********************************* Etymologically speaking?

Careful when opening the hard drives. If it has everything deleted you're safe, but if the drive is nearly full, do it over a trash can. All the 1's and 0's spill out and make a mess worse than packing peanuts.
rimshot...
don't forget to tip your waitress ladies and gentlemen...
John

Well yes, of course, but keep in mind if it's less than 80% full, you can run a defrag so that all the bits are on the platters below the top one. That way they don't spill out because the top one acts as a lid.

<G>

The magnets in the newer hard drives are pretty unrewarding. They are strong but very small. Now back in the 3380 days you got MAGNETS (the size of pavers)

Get bigger, more powerful, donut shaped magnets out of dead microwaves. Took one apart and found 2 large magnets.
Just a tip:
To get the magnets off of their steel backing you just soak them in acetone overnight then slip them off.
-j

Just watch that you don't get any on your hands...
Dave "Is it a cliche' yet?" Hinz

Yeah, it would suck if your fingernail polish came off. ;-)
brian
Well folks, I've made an "executive decision" and decided not to take the magnets out of the old computers. I had access to a dozen or so that were being disposed of but I really need to start using my time more effectively if I'm going to try and improve my woodworking skills - and my bottom line!
JP ******************************************************* What's the opposite of green? In the black?

If the drives work your time is better spent selling them on Ebay.
They are worth about a board foot of good wood each ;-)

Probably a good decision... Do what you enjoy doing and spend a few bucks on magnets... There are several folks on Ebay that specialize in Rare Earth Magnets... "Pie" is one of them... I bought 100 thin 3/8" dia. magnets for $20 plus shipping on a "buy it now" and use them all the time... going to order some larger ones next..
I just bought a few larger diameter ones at Lee Valley, and though they are probably very good quality, they were way more expensive than the ones on Ebay... YMMV
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

try http://www.wondermagnets.com/cgi-bin/edatcat/WMSstore.pl?user_action=list&category=Magnets_and_Magnetism%3BPermanent_Magnets

Charles Spitzer wrote:

http://www.wondermagnets.com/cgi-bin/edatcat/WMSstore.pl?user_action=list&category=Magnets_and_Magnetism%3BPermanent_Magnets They are a bit cheaper than Lee Valley from that store, and a little bit more cheaper (?) when you get them through Pie's store on eBay. (Which is the same entity).
JP
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------000303080009020906080304 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Check out www.allelectronics.com. They have Rare Earth magnets there. They sell surplus electronics "stuff"
Frank
Jay Pique wrote:

--------------000303080009020906080304 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
JP
--------------000303080009020906080304--
On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 11:00:53 -0700, "Charles Spitzer"

that's the same guy..lol "pie" on Ebay is "force-field magnets", which is at the "wondermagnets" url...
it's a VERY small world, sometimes!