LP Air in the shop

Not a thing wrong with that as long as you're not subject to OSHA inspection/fines and don't mind assuming a small risk of PVC shrapnel.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

Agreed. It better be pneumatic tube and not your cousin's fish tank plastic tube or some PVC drain pipe stuff.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Not withstanding all the cautionary tales this suggestion might generate herein, we used schedule 40 3/4" PVC to "pipe" the air throughout our shop for years w/o a problem. We had a very large dual- stage compressor inherited from an auto body shop down the road. we ran drops down from the ceiling, tapping them at working height and incorporating drains below each drop after about 6-8 inches of pipe with the petcock at the bottom. We ran air tools and Binks Spray guns. Worked like a charm and much cheaper than iron (read expensive/ rusting) pipe.

Screw the cautionary tales! I think anyone that uses PVC pipe for air lines is crazy! I used it myself in a couple differant shops, but when I saw the result of a failure I ripped it all out! The stuff explodes like a hand grenade when it fails. Run rubber hose, solder copper pipe, thread black pipe, but just say no to PVC!! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Agreed.

Around here, black iron nipples threaded both ends are available up to

6 ft long.

No need to thread an air distribution systen, just a little teflon paste and a couple of pipe wrenches..

Pitch the pipe 1/4"/ft with a petcock at the low point and rut is not a problem

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Correction:

That should read 5 ft long, not 6 ft.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Made me think of my deceased uncle. His saying about hogs was "when they ain't rootin' they're a ruttin".

I used black iron iron in my shop, with two outside drops. Learned to use a plastic slip cover on them to keep the little mud wasps from clogging the connectors up.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

The local Lowe's carries 10' sections. (Threaded)

Max (El Paso)

Reply to
Max

"Max" wrote in news:uHztl.12127$ snipped-for-privacy@flpi150.ffdc.sbc.com:

Lowe's is kinda funny, at least around here. If you need sections that add to 10', it's much cheaper to have them cut and thread the 10' pipe rather than buying parts.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper