Looking for a source of thin boards

I need to find a good source for thin boards (about 1/8") for doing fretwork. The BORGs have decent thin oak boards, but not very wide. Doing a nice portrait of animal drawing (using a 2/0 spiral blade) doesn't give the right effect on 1/4" boards .. particularly when you when to create a relief effect by overlaying them.
Does anyone know where I can find a good source for thin boards of various wood types ... with decent widths available?
Thanks!
Jack
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net wrote:

Can you get the effect you want with a door skin (1/8" plywood) or by applying wide veneer to a 1/8" substrate like masonite?
This gentleman has a list of lumber links on his website:
http://www.rickswoodshopcreations.com/Links/Links-Lumber.htm
You might find something there.
Meanwhile, does anyone here know how the real tiny wood pieces used for modeling are cut and dressed? I see basswood and balsa and sometimes other woods in hobby stores that are 3/32" thick, 1/2" wide and a foot long. It seems like these would not be cut and dressed with 'normal' saws, jointers and planers.
--

FF

On 4 Sep 2006 10:41:11 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

Probably using the items you mentioned plus a drum or wide belt sander.
On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 11:29:15 -0600, "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" <"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"> wrote:

Try
http://www.constantines.com
"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" <"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"> wrote in message
| I need to find a good source for thin boards (about 1/8") for doing | fretwork. The BORGs have decent thin oak boards, but not very wide. | Doing a nice portrait of animal drawing (using a 2/0 spiral blade) | doesn't give the right effect on 1/4" boards .. particularly when you | when to create a relief effect by overlaying them. | | Does anyone know where I can find a good source for thin boards of | various wood types ... with decent widths available? | | Thanks! | | Jack |
I've had great wood and service from Sloan's Woodshop in Tennessee. Down to 1/8" on the various hardwoods and down to 1/32" on plywood.
www.sloanswoodshop.com
others to try:
Ocooch Hardwoods in Wisconsin
(www.ocoochhards.com)
D&D Woodcrafts in Pennsylvania
(www.danddwoodcrafts.com)
If you're scrolling, take a look at Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts magazine. (formerly Scroll Saw Workshop) The articles and the ads are worth looking at.
No financial interest, just a happy customer.
John Flatley Jacksonville, Florida

Both Rockler and Woodcraft list wood of various species in varying thicknesses.
Just last night, David Marks made his own thin wood strips for a veneering project. He used a band saw and a drum sander. You could substitute a belt sander for the drum sander.
But, you will need a lot of wood before you would save money by making your own.
Jim
On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 11:29:15 -0600, "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" <"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"> wrote:

Have you tried baltic birch plywood? It is available in thicknesses down to about 1/32" and can be stained or dyed very easily. You can also stack and cut several pieces at once.
Bob McConnell N2SPP
Thanks! That's probably a good way to start without spending too much money. I'll check the other links the other people listed for some nicer woods.
1/8" is probably the thinnest I'd ever need, so maybe this is my best bet.
Jack
Bob McConnell wrote:

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net wrote:

Thought of using door skins.. Great for fret work..Use them here a lot.. Several nice wood grains there..
byefernow wPm

I use door skins for backs on book cases, etc.