Looking at scroll saws

I've got a job to do right now which involves cutting some interior cutouts. Seems like a job for a scroll saw. I'm looking at the DeWalt DW788. Some questions:

What's the realistic cutting capacity of a saw like this? The job I need to do right now is cutting 1-1/4 teak. Do these saws really have the power (and blade strength) to cut that? If I bought one of these, I don't anticipate cutting something that thick would be my usual task, but it's the task I need to do right now.

I don't have room for one of these to live full-time on my shop floor, so my plan is to forgo the stand. I'd park it on my bench when I need it, and it would live on a shelf the rest of the time. It's hard to get a good handle on the weight of this thing from the ads (everybody quotes a different number) but 50 lbs seems about right. Are there people out there with this saw who treat it as a portable? How does that work out for you?

Is it stable enough to use just sitting on a bench, or does it need to be attached to the bench top when in use?

Reply to
Roy Smith

Haven't had the opportunity to cut material that thick but can help with the storage issue. I built a flip top shop cart to store my scroll saw. Saw mounts on one side and top rotates leaving a clear 24x30 work surface on the other side. I could justify giving up valuable floor space for a mobile work surface. 50 lbs sounds about right which is why I didn't want to put it on and off a shelf.

dave

Reply to
David Van Nort

I have the smallest Hegner, 14". It's much smaller than the Dewalt, although arguably better made. Anyway, I have cut 1-3/4" work. I don't think 1-1/4 would be a problem even in Teak. The depth of cut should be a readily available specification from Dewalt, so look it up first.

--

Reply to
Pounds on Wood