Little Wizard II metal detector seems to suck - your opinion?

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&pE125&cat=1,240
I borrowed my friend's Little Wizard II. It hardly seems to work at all. I've got an edge band around my router table screwed into place. If I hold this device right on the surface where I know the screws are, I can detect them. Most of them. It seems like it'll only detect through about 1/4" of wood, maybe 1/2" if I already know where to look, and that's with the sensitivity screw dialed up as high as it will go without perpetually signalling.
I didn't replace his battery, but he told me he thought it was still good. Would a weak battery make any difference to how well this thing could detect metal? I'm not going to risk my blades after assessing wood with this thing, so I'm wondering if the Wizard III (the larger one pictured on the above website) could do the job well. I've got a pile of reclaimed pine with thicknesses as large as 2" strong to assess.
What have your experiences with metal detectors been?
Thanks.
- Owen -
Weak battery was my first thought even before you mentioned it. Yes, that could do it.

could
pine
I have the Wizard III and it works great as long as you don't forget to shut it off and let the battery run down.
I wish it had and auto shutoff.

I've got the Little Wizard and have found quite a few nails with it, but if I'm trying to get usable stock from pallets or other used lumber, I still make my initial cuts with a $5 harbor freight blade. Incidentally, while I've hit -and cut- some nails, the blade is still OK and hasn't lost any teeth.
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.
Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland - lwasserm(@)charm(.)net

Since you know where the metal is, change the batteries, try it out, then get back to us. Thanks,
Owen Lawrence wrote:

IMHE none of the Wizards are any use. They certainly can detect things, but they seem unreliable. If you move the wand around relative to the target then the indication comes and goes. Some of this is inevitable, but the Wizards were too poor to contemplate using seriously.
I use a mil surplus mine detector. Cheaper too.
Tried a new one. Same experience. Junk. I don't like being that direct but I have to tell it like it is.

Buy a Bounty Hunter! I've had one for 3 years and it works fine, up to about 14" or so. (low end model)] muzzleloader