Linseed oil finish problem

I have attempted to refinish some speaker cabinets with boiled linseed oil. The cabinets are an unknown darker species of wood. This is my first attempt at doing something like this and a problem has developed. The procedure that I used was to remove the existing finish by flooding the serface with mineral spirits and then sanding with 200 grit wet or dry sandpaper. Subsequent refinishing was done by flooding the surface with the boiled linseed oil and sanding with finer grits of wet or dry sandpaper. The final application was sanded with 600 grit wet or dry sandpaper.

After letting the cabinets sit, I noted that the pores of the wood have been filled with a light colored material which I assume is wood dust. I have tried to remove the dust by using 0000 steel wool and paste wax, 0000 steel wool and wood soap, 0000 steel wool and boiled linseed oil, and 600 grit wet or dry sand paper and boiled linseed oil. Nothing's worked. Does anyone have any suggestions as to removing the dust without ruining the finish?

Mike

Reply to
mcdmgb

If it's mahogany, it sometimes has a white subsance in the pores. It can be removed with alcohol.

Remove the 'remove' in my address to e:mail me.

Reply to
SteveC1280