Linear Ft. Vs Board Ft at Lumber Yard.. did I get ripped off?

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Larry Bud) wrote in

I don't think you were cheated per se, but that's an unfriendly practice by a company that's not looking for repeat business.
One of the local places measures to the 1/8" in width and to the inch in length when figuring bd ft, and they don't allow much for wane or splitting if present. Most everyone else figures to the inch (rounding down) for width, and the half foot (rounding down again) on length. They don't have to do it that way, but allowing something for irregular boards is just being sensible. I don't go to the first place much, it's not worth the aggravation. (btw, this is all rough lumber...figuring to the exact half inch might make more sense for S4S).
BTW, having a table of conversion between bd ft and linear feet isn't that uncommon, altho 6.20/bd ft should have been 3.10/LF for 6", not 3.38, so they were playing you a bit sharp there, too.
John

At the local place I buy from (there are really only two choices and the other one doesn't stock as much variety or volume) they take out a tape measure and a calculator. They may round to 1/4" on width, but if they do it's down.