Lighted lamps w/ magnification

I'm looking for a quality lighted lamp w/ magnification to use in my shop, maybe one that can clamp to the edge of a workbench. This should be handy for super fine work with a Dremel, sharpening or removing splinters. I know Grizzly makes such a lamp, but read some negative reviews conserning quality. Also, I was wondering if incandescent or flourescent is better?

I've seen similar things in sewing or craft stores (my wife's a quilter). You might check there, or simply do a google search for 'clamp magnifier lamp' - I know I've seen several things like this. Try office stores, Amazon, home centers, etc. Andy

You may want to look into magnifiers you can wear on your head. They're made with people like model railroaders in mind, and don't look any more goofy than utilitarian equipment does. ;-)
Puckdropper

in

most of your industreal supply catalogs have them. ie Granger, MSC ect, for about $45-100 in different magnification levels
Roger wrote:

The "good" brand is Luxo for about $300. If you're not going for one of those then under $100 lamps all work pretty much equally well and it really gets down to what features you want. Even Luxo has an under $100 cheapie in the line now.
--John
SWDeveloper wrote:

From what I've see, models with an fluorescent ring are the nicest, with incandescent models being kind of weak. Make sure the clamping mechanism is all metal - I've had cheap lamps that broke off because of plastic parts in there. Good reach is also nice; you may be able to place it so it covers two work areas. I was fortunate enough to pick mine up from Woodcraft on either sale or closeout. If it was closeout they may only carry incandescents now.
Gordon Airporte wrote:

I've had cheap ones that broke off because of the poor quality metal parts. On one I replaced a broken casting with a piece carved out of maple and that part held up longer than the metal part did, in fact it was still fine when the ballast burnt out.
There's a version that has a 100 watt halogen bulb in it--they're amply bright but give off a good deal of heat.

Saw fluorescents at the local Woodcraft the other day. Same kind that I put the maple piece in.
Staples carries a variety of them--high prices for cheap lamps though.
--John
Office supply places have what you need. Florescent lighting is the way to go. Since you mentioned a Dremel, a warning is in order. If you are grinding, you don't want a glass lens anywhere near it. Grinding sparks will make glass crater. It will look like the lens is dirty but you cannot remove it. The damage is permanent. I've destroyed many pairs of glasses over the years from this.

I plan on using the Dremel mostly for wood, but thanks for the warning about grinding. I guess when sharpening metal I'll use a replaceble plastic face shield.

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?&NETID 23140324071394411&NTITEM462
not all have a shield overall length and stability wattage, diameter, and cost of bulb mag power, size of glass, prob glass quality

-
SWDeveloper wrote:

The Circleline (sp?) fluorescents surround the object with light so your hands and tools won't cast shadows. Far superior. Lower heat output. Most beneficial. http://cgi.ebay.com/LUXO-ILLUMINATED-MAGNIFIERS-5-DIAMETER-LENSES-NIB_W0QQitemZ260100320324 Shipping is high, but the overall value is good.