Lifting Casters

Page 1 of 2
Does anyone know the name of lifting casters? I'm looking for casters that lift a wooden box off the ground (50 lbs?), but ground themselves when a little pressure or weight is applied to the box.
Thanks.
Add pictures here
✖
The only type casters that I know about to accomplish what you want are made for woodworking machines or work bench mobile bases.
https://www.google.com/search?q=mobile+tool+base+casters&safe=off&biw 7&bihB7&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=kX0FVbjMJZKzogTk_IHQDg&ved DMQsAQ

✖

Thanks, not what I'm looking for. What I want is casters that will hold something up so it can be pushed easily. Then when a little weight is put on it, it will ground itself on the floor.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

Don't know if this would work for you but I have a setup on my drill press that allows easy movement but grounding if I want it (turns out I never bother grounding it). Set up...
1. A base for the casters
2. 2 - lumber pieces of appropriate size near the ends of the base and hinged to it; the cross pieces need to be a bit greater than the caster height in one cross section dimension, a bit less in the other
3. Attach a lever to one end of each cross piece. I used 3/4" ply, maybe 2" x 12"
In use, when the cross piece is "up" (thin dimension horizontal to the base),the casters touch the floor; when it is "down", the casters do not.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 08:21:17 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

Check for Library ladder hardware
Add pictures here
✖

Thanks, I'm looking for something similar, only it's casters designed, for a box or crate. Under normal conditions, it's easy to push on the wheels. Then when weight is put on the box or whatever, it grounds itself and can't be pushed easily anymore.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote in

I think what you're looking for is called a "spring loaded caster".
John
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 13:17:42 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy

According to the description, spring loaded casters are designed to minimize shock so to protect the contents in the box.
What I'm looking for casters for a box that wil ground itself when some weight is put on it. Without that added weight, the box will roll freely when pushed.
Add pictures here
✖

spring it will. There are spring loaded for gates, spring for shock.. And spring for what you are looking for. Look for the weight you want.
Each has a resting weight.
--
Jeff

Add pictures here
✖

Yup. I'll have to wait until I build my step box and then figure out how much it weighs.
Add pictures here
✖

These are awesome little step ladders. I remember them well. I am sure they are pricey, but they might already have the hand hold that you need to shimmy up. http://cotterman.com/documents/ST124.pdf I would chose the aluminum over the steel. Not cheap.
--
Jeff

Add pictures here
✖

There is one made exactly for my purpose. It's called a Para Ladder. http://www.paraladder.com/
I emailed the company, but didn't get a response. In any event, it would be cheaper for me to build one suited to me. That means thick shag rug on the steps, width to my specifications and deeper steps.
I figure it can do double duty as ladder onto my bed when my cat gets too old to jump on the bed.
And, I'll be using this project as an excuse to by myself a Festool Carvex jigsaw. Leon needs his commission. :)
Add pictures here
✖
wrote in message

Ladder casters...
e.g., http://www.castercity.com/specific-app-casters/ladder-casters.htm
https://www.google.com/search?q=ladder+casters&authuser=0&biw 80&bih’5&site=webhp&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=0Z4FVf2ZGdDSoASIvYGQAQ&ved EcQsAQ&dpr=1
Add pictures here
✖

The problem as I see it is that OP wants a caster that will support a 50# box and yet settle to the floor and remain stationary when he places slight amount of weight on it.
This "self stabilizing" is what going to cause him grief in his quest. What's a manufacturer to do? Offer a whole range of casters by weight? A number of them with an adjustable range? What's the demand likely to be vs one that can be lowered and locked manually like those used on woodworking machines as previously mentioned.
Far better, I think, would be for OP to design his own rig. What immediately comes to mind is a set of casters, appropriate to the task, mounted outboard on slightly extended arms with a fulcrum close to the edge. The "Inner" arm would extend toward the center of the box and an adjustable spring/turnbuckle arrangement would adjust the casters to the weight of the box to the point where you could balance it and have it settle to the floor with the addition of a little weight.
It would undoubtedly be clearer if I could post a drawing but you get the idea
Add pictures here
✖

ability to do certain tasks. I have never met him so I cannot comment on how limited his mobility and motion are.
--
Froz...

✖
On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 11:32:53 -0400, FrozenNorth

And further to that, I'm building a set of three steps about 20" high that I can use to get my butt back onto my wheelchair when I fall on the floor. The casters are for this step box ~ easy to pull around but grounded when I climb up on it.
Add pictures here
✖

I don't have an outlet but these are the ticket for the design it would seem...
<http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/spring-loaded-caster-self-locks-and-unlocks-without-lever-20012831 <http://paysoncasters.com Didn't see them in a quick site search but they've got contact info...
Good luck; admire your ambition/drive to keep doin' stuff despite the difficulties.
Add pictures here
✖
On 03/15/2015 11:15 AM, dpb wrote:

Came to me late and I see Ed already got the right search terms "ladder casters"...will show up a bunch of alternatives...
<http://shop.servicecaster.com/Ladder-Casters-Wheels-s/1950.htm?gclid=CIqd2rfiqsQCFQqFaQodMJkAwg

✖

Thanks to you and Ed. As to my ambition to do stuff, it's partially aimed at not calling the fire department to pick me up and put me back on my chair.
Lost the ability to do standing transfers about six months ago. The first three months I fell on my butt four times. It wasn't difficult to tell that they were getting upset at my calling for help. :)
Add pictures here
✖

I do presume you have a call button just in case you do get into situation can't get to the phone or it breaks in a fall or somesuch...
Got to be tough; again admire the grit and attitude. Have good buddy who's gone blind w/ macular degeneration over the last several years yet he also retains his good humor and just copes as best as can...not so sure I'd be as gracious. :)

✖