lettering small wooden toys

My mother in law has small wooded cars with the names of all her grandchildren stamped in gold lettering on the side. As grandchildren come along she has found the same person making these cars at various craft shows. A new grandchild is on the way and she is concerned that she may not be able to find one for the new baby.
I can make the cars easy enough, I just can't seem to figure out how the lettering is done. It looks like it is lightly stamped with a lettering die, but the slightly indented letter is filled in with gold.
It doesn't appear to be done with paint. It looks like some sort of transfer sheet.
It was also something that could be done in the booth. If you couldn't find your particular name one could be custom made.
Thanks
On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 16:40:17 -0400, "Cliff Hartle"
Snip
you might try a craft store. they sell faux gilding sheets that might suit your needs.
Traves
Cliff Hartle wrote:

It is probably done with a sheet of gold leaf in between the toy and the stamp. You can get the stuff at most hobby/craft stores.
TroyD
Sounds like gold leaf.
Its available at any craft store.

come
not
find
Cliff Hartle wrote:
<snip>

The letters can be stamped in with letter dies. For the gold fill, check for a product called "GOLD STICK Engraving Enhancer" at a sporting goods store that sells guns. It's a lacquer based product that is used to highlight engravings on guns.
See the sixth item down at the following URL:
http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/blueing/index.asp?menu=7
-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA