Lathe spindle shuddering...??

When I am turning a spindle (36") on my Ridgid lathe, as I get to the middle of the length of the spindle, it begins to 'shudder' and seems to bow while spinning. I avoid pressing hard into the spindle when I expect this to happen, it solves to problem slightly but I end up only being able to remove little material at a time. Is there a way to rememdy this (without getting a spindle support attachment)? thanks in advance.
ng wrote:

It's called "whip". You can lightly curl a couple of fingers around the spindle to support it while turning.
You may get some other ideas if you ask the question in "rec.crafts.woodturning".

You know the answer already.
--
Jim in NC