Latex paint over spar varnish?

Page 2 of 2

On Wed, 03 May 2006 03:44:16 GMT, "Max"

Well, the steps I did were to scrape the finish off with a heat gun, then wipe the surface with a rag dipped in a liquid stripper (Kleen Kutter) then sand. The surface looked almost as good as new.
I then primed with latex primer and painted with the latex top coat.
If your stripping a door, I imagine there will be nooks and crannies not easily sanded or scraped, therefore I'd use stripper.
With regards to the actual finish you'll apply after doing all that, others have also rendered good advise. Read it all and decide what you need given your particular needs and circumstances.

Thank you, George. I appreciate the advice. I think I'll start with the heat gun and see how it goes. If I need stripper, I'll move on to that.
Max
"George Max" wrote: > >If your stripping a door, I imagine there will be nooks and crannies >not easily sanded or scraped, therefore I'd use stripper.
That's why Fein makes a detail sander.
Lew
Max wrote:
<< I have a DeVilbiss high pressure sprayer, a couple touch up guns and a Fuji Q4.

Max, I see that you have a Q4. If you are still following this thread, would you mind answering a few questions about it? If you do, I'll post my email and we can do it offline if you prefer. Or here, it doesn't matter.
Robert

Here is fine. There might be others who are interested.
Max
On Thu, 04 May 2006 02:03:38 GMT, Lew Hodgett

And I'd get one if I had enough need for one. Until then, stripper works too.
Even so, mebbe this'll go on the christmas/birthday list.

Thanks for the info, Robert. I know it's varnish because I applied it. The house has 5 exterior doors. I sprayed them about 10 years ago with McCloskey's Marine varnish and they really look good. The one I want to paint the color of the house trim is at the back of the (attached) garage. I'm not adverse to stripping the door but I didn't want to if I didn't have to. And I don't mind spending whatever I have to for a good finish. The paint I used on the trim (Glidden Endurance) seems to be holding up very well. I'm wondering about the durability of an oil based paint. What's your verdict?
Max

Or: Wipe it down with solvent to clean the foreign oils off and dewax it (some people do wax the door) Then wipe it down with denatured alcohol to get the last bit of solvent off. Solvent leaves a residue. Then sand it. Then wipe it down with a damp sponge to get the dust off. More denatured alcohol to get the water and water borne crap and the dust you missed off. Use a decent oil base primer to bite the sanded varnish and give the latex a good bite. Then two coats of latex. After a year or two, the latex may still be stuck to the door or maybe not.
The door, unlike a wall, will get substantial abuse from kicking, touching, licking (dogs, kids), staining, etc. Why not go with an oil base paint the same color as the trim?
Pete