Large, Long Holes in Wood...

Page 1 of 3
Here is an inquiry I received this morning:
*** START ***
I am trying to find some sources to help us build a wood boring machine that can drill from 4" up to 10" (rarely larger), mostly our needs call for the 4" ~ 8" diameter range boring up the center of the log lengthwise. Length of the pole is typically 8' to 12' long. We are trying to find a source for the machine and drill bits. B&A Manufacturing referred us to you for the equipment part of our needs. Tree diameter generally calls for needing at least 4" larger than the diameter of the hole, but usually 6" is better (3" width of tree leftover all away around the diameter of the hole and the larger the tree, the larger width of wood needs to remain). So if can imagine, we may have a 16" diameter tree, 10' long, that calls for a 8" diameter
This is one of the hardest, most dense woods of the world.
Is there a stock machine out there that can do what we are asking, and if so is that something you can offer? Do you know where we might find one and at what kind of cost?
Someone had one built that drills it while still leaving the "donut hole" for lack of a better term still intact so that when it is finally drilled all the way through, we are left with a wood cylinder in the diameter of the bit used. Do, if our job calls for a 4" hole, we end up with a wood cylinder slightly less than 4" in diameter. That is then pulled out of the inside of the log. We found this to give us the most success in boring out this wood.
Please let me know what you can come up with.
*** END ***
Anyone have any leads for this guy? I can't / won't build a machine of this caliber but would love to point him in the right direction.
V8013-R
Add pictures here
✖
Joe AutoDrill wrote:
<snip>

Joe...
I don't know if it's helpful to you or not, but a 2.5X version (in metal, rather than the baltic birch shown) of the machine at the link below could do that job nicely...
I know how - I built the machine shown. :-)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Morris,
Which link? Your sig link brings me to the JBot... Didn't see another link...
Also, sent a buddy your way for some solar panel stuff... Dan from Scranton, PA. Great guy.
V8013-R
Add pictures here
✖
Joe AutoDrill wrote:

My goof - I missed that you wanted to bore 16 FOOT lengths to make pipe. Sorry about that.
I assume he's wanting to drill something like ipé. It's an interesting tooling challenge. :-)

I'll keep my eyes peeled for e-mail - and, of course, treat him well. Thanks!
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

Looks like a neat machine but I don't see how you'd gun-drill a 12 foot log with it.
--John
✖
J. Clarke wrote:

You don't - I shoulda read the reqs /three/ times before opening mouth. I was over-eager.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Welcome to my world. :)
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
Joe AutoDrill wrote:

I admit, it's one of my weaknesses.
I couldn't leave the CNC idea alone, though - I wonder if it'd be possible to support the log on a pair of cradles in front of a Y-Z gantry carrying something like a CO2 laser, and just burn the hole leaving a (nearly) hole-sized core to pull out.
It'd only be necessary to maintain the beam for half the length of the log, and parameterizing the part program would allow any diameter hole larger than the laser beam...
...or even polygonal holes.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Anyone ever tell you that you are way too creative for your own good? <GRIN>
Might work really well, but dangerous as can be in an environment where safety talks generally go "Don't get crushed, spun, run over, etc." The smoke could be an issue too...
V8013-R
Add pictures here
✖

think steam explosions 8' down inside a 16" diameter log.
Add pictures here
✖

Oh what I wouldn't have done as a teen to know this stuff....
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

Well, you didn't, Joe.. and that's probably one of many reasons that you're still alive..lol
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Add pictures here
✖

Ya know....
I have a video of a cannon we made as kids that shot pool balls (billards) straight up. They would land about 2.5 minutes later... (anyone able to calculate FPS, total height by that?) I also have knowledge that you can shoot a bilalrs ball straight through the chain link fence that is behind home plate on a baseball diamond if you want to... And the ball will not even have much damage other than scortch marks and a slight scratch...
#1. Don't ask how we know it was 2.5 minutes later as the statue of limitations may not protect me yet...
#2. I have a video of the same cannon with a double load (only time we ever put twice the propellant in) falling over, pointing at us at face level from the top of the "firing hill" and not going off for the first and only time in over 100 shots...
I shouldn't be alive... And have proof of it.
That was what we did for fun. The stuff I got caught doing and the stuff we did to cause trouble was worse.
No wonder I work with troubled teens and find it exciting when I'm not here. <G>
...And no, I don't do that stuff any more. I only talk about it and only in ways that makes it really really hard for the uneducated to learn how to copy cat my actions.
V8013-R
Add pictures here
✖

Don't be so difficult: http://www.hammerheadmole.com/products/trihawk_drill_supplies.htm
Add pictures here
✖
Don't be so difficult: http://www.hammerheadmole.com/products/trihawk_drill_supplies.htm
Sent that to them, but from what I can tell, they may not do wood... Stone and misc. debris buried underneath your ground surface, yes... Maybe even roots... But maybe not solid wood...
V8013-R
Add pictures here
✖

*deep sigh* No, Joe... not Vermweer as a source, but as a source of inspiration. Look at what they do. Now do it so it suits YOUR needs.
I'm willing to bet a couple of K, that I can do that job without breaking the bank. It is NOT a 'moonshot-grade' challenge.
Add pictures here
✖

Yes.
Following disregards effects of air resistance, and thus isn't entirely accurate, but note that air resistance on a smooth, dense object is not very large. Velocity at return is obviously the velocity attained by a body falling from the maximum height attained -- and is also approximately equal to launch velocity.
Where: s = vertical distance fallen g = Earth's gravitational constant = approx 32 ft / sec^2 t = flight time in seconds v = velocity
s = g * t^2 / 2 v = g * t
t(round trip) = 2.5 minutes = 150 seconds t(one way) = 75 sec
s = 32 * 75^2 / 2 = 90,000 feet. v = 32 * 75 = 2400 fps = Mach 2.2
Methinks you overestimate the flight time slightly. :-)
Add pictures here
✖

By your calculations, it looks impossible even to me... I'll admit that.
However, I can tell you it took 2 minutes 38 seconds for the ball to drop back down - as timed with a human watching a digital watch. Unless someone held it up there or there were currents affecting it like a really large, smooth piece of hail.... My numbers are pretty accurate however unbelievable.
Even if it were one minute off... That would still be 32,400 feet up. Hmm.... 981 MPH... Better than 1600... But I'm certain it was 2:38....
It did land about 1/4 mile away from where it was shot... But I can't imagine I had that good of aim if it went 90,000 feet up! 90,000 feet is a 17 mile shot, both ways, landing within 1/4 mile of origin... Seems impossible...
V8013-R
Add pictures here
✖

Ah, no. The object will start up at muzzle velocity and slow due to gravity and air resistance - Yes. It will then fall at a constant speed after it reaches zenith and acclerates down until air resistance equals force of gravity, ie terminal velocity, which is NOT the same as the muzzle velocity.
Add pictures here
✖
"Joe AutoDrill" wrote

Although it may have gone up quicker than down, and just guesstimating the terminal velocity at roughly 120 mph, or two miles/minute, about a minute of freefall oughta put you up somewhere around the 10,000' mark.
But at half that, not bad for a trainee canoncocker. :)
Anyway, now that that ice is broken, we can stand back and wait for the geniuses/smartasses to chime in, so maybe you'll finally know with some precision.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08