Lap joint on end of 2x4?

Page 3 of 6
On 4/27/2010 4:18 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

I'm curious. You say "the first 1/4" or so is _brown_". Are you talking about "brown treated lumber"? If so that 1/4" of brown is a colorant, not the preservative. It's applied in a separate operation, not under pressure.

Most of the treated lumber I've seen and recognized is brown, but I do have a piece that's yellow with a greenish hue to it. I have not cut the yellow piece, so I don't know if it changes colors (tints) partway through.
It's entirely possible that there's 4-5 different treatment methods "in the wild" now and some are the partial treatment using a brown chemical while others actually penetrate the entire piece.
After all, why do more than necessary? If someone's buying a 4x4 post to sit on the ground for landscaping and the thinner treatment stops most everything from getting in, why worry about the core?
Puckdropper

On 4/27/2010 9:40 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

I'm curious as to the treatment--almost all pressure treating of construction lumber involves copper compounds and almost all copper compounds are green. Brown pressure treat would usually be creosote, which would go in railroad ties, marine pilings, and a few other uses. The stuff is sticky and has a distinctive odor and is generally not used for light construction.

If it's "partial treatment" it's crap. The dark brown treatment is a coloring for deck lumber and other uses where the lumber will not be painted and is in addition to the preservative--it's no more a preservative itself than an application of Minwax is a preservative, it just goes deeper so won't go away the first time you clean the deck with a pressure washer. The only brown preservative in common use is ACQ-D IIRC, and it's a light brown, not dark.

Does your lumberyard stock two kinds of pressure treated lumber, one to "sit on the ground" and the other to be cut up to make decks and the like with through-holes for fasteners?
In any case, lumber rated for ground contact generally has a heavier treatment than lumber not intended for ground contact.
J. Clarke wrote:

Nope. Either that or you can get better PT than I can. There are also different strengths of PT; eg, ground contact, direct burial, etc.
I have always heard - and agree - that if you cut a piece of PT the resultant raw wood should receive an application of a fungicide. I always do so with Cuprinol.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 4/27/2010 8:19 AM, dadiOH wrote:

Any PT I've cut up is the same color all the way through. Yes, there are different grades but that is due to different formulation and concentration of the treating bath and to different treating techniques, not to different degrees of penetration.
If it's dimension lumber and it's not the same color all the way through (leaving aside heartwood vs sapwood) then it's crappy treatment and you should return it and demand a replacement that has been properly treated. Heavy pilings sometimes don't get quite that degree of uniformity but even there most of the sapwood should be penetrated.
J. Clarke wrote:

None that I have ever cut was.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 4/27/2010 8:39 AM, dadiOH wrote:

(...)
I am So ConFused!
--Winston
--

Harley was venal, arrogant, despicable and a psychologist.
He was the second most redundant man I ever talked to.
On 4/27/2010 12:22 PM, Winston wrote:

Don't trust either of us. Go down to Home Depot, get a green pressure treated 4x4, cut it in half, see what the inside looks like.
On 4/27/2010 11:16 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

I have the PT 2 x 4 s and am sketching up the gate. I am sure it will turn out fine and I thank you guys for your thoughts.
--Winston
--

Harley was venal, arrogant, despicable and a psychologist.
He was the second most redundant man I ever talked to.
On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 14:16:31 -0400, the infamous "J. Clarke"

GREEN? Hell, son, it's all brown now. ;)
-- Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 10:42:01 -0400, the infamous "J. Clarke"

Every single piece of PT I've cut into both in California and Oregon over the past 30 years, from at least ten different sources, has had "crappy treatment", according to your theory, JC. Except for the end inch, every cutoff I've made has had untreated wood inside, period. And that goes for Womanized, CCA, AZQ, and others.
Pics, please! Location and sourcing, too, eh?
-- Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
J. Clarke wrote:

J. Clark is right. Here are 3 pictures of wolmanized 2x4 and a 2x6 I had laying around my shop. These are above ground pieces, not rated for below ground use and whether the pictures show it well or not, I can tell you the treatment is all the way through. The 3rd one shows the heart wood is a different color but the treatment is throughout, and not just he first 1/4".
This is standard wolmanized lumber, can't say where I bought it but probably 84 lumber, a lumber yard.
http://jbstein.com/Flick/Wolman1.jpg
http://jbstein.com/Flick/Wolman2.jpg
http://jbstein.com/Flick/Wolman3.jpg

I'm pretty sure PT wood must be green when treated. If it is dry, the treatment won't penetrate as it is some sort of hygroscopic hocus pocus that is going on?
--
Jack
News Flash: Government Motors fines their top competitor $16 Mil.
On 4/28/2010 11:11 AM, Jack Stein wrote:
(...)

What pretty lumber you have there!
That doesn't look anything like the bargain basement sticks I'm working with.
--Winston
Winston wrote:

After thinking about it, the last PT lumber I bought was at Home Depot when my son built a couple of picnic tables out of it. The pictures just show that the treatment goes all the way through as J.Clark professed, and the sticker still on the end says for above ground use.

You can bet I cherry picked like crazy. I never bought lumber w/o cherry picking, even at the best lumber yards.
--
Jack
A.C.O.R.N: For Democrats that just can't vote often enough...

I don't know about DF but all 2x SYP is treated dry and 4x and 6x have to be below 25% moisture content.
basilisk
On 4/26/2010 10:43 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

That'll be the thing I learned today. Thanks!
--Winston
--

Harley was venal, arrogant, despicable and a psychologist.
He was the second most redundant man I ever talked to.
On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 06:06:01 -0700, the infamous Winston

Or not. I'd love to see a cutoff from the middle of a PT 4x4 from Mr. Clarke. I've never seen PT injected more than about 1/2", and that was with a vacuum/pressure treating chamber and steel knife incised on 2 sides.
-- Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
On 4/27/2010 5:39 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)
Just now I cut off one of my HD pressure treated 2 x 4s, about 6" from one end and made a color scan of the cross section. I can send a jpg if you would like, anyone (well almost anyone). Beware, it is 2.8 MB.
Be sitting down before you look at the picture because you will laugh your ass off.
:)
--Winston
--

Harley was venal, arrogant, despicable and a psychologist.
He was the second most redundant man I ever talked to.
On 4/27/2010 8:26 PM, Winston wrote:

I'd appreciate a look. My e-mail address is valid (and I can always use a good laugh).
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
On 4/27/2010 6:36 PM, Morris Dovey wrote:

Hokay, Morris.
Watch your inbox.
--Winston