Kitchen Cabinet Extremes

Page 1 of 2
The owner of the house where I'm working asked me what would be the max height and width (depth) of Kitchen Cabinet base units - i.,e the counter top. He and his wife are tall and want to spec the cabinets at the *practical extreme*. He concerns that they don't go overboard and end up with an issue if they ever re-sold
I am not the most qualified kitchen builder but thought some of you guys might have a thought or two.
TIA
Joe Bemier wrote:

Because of the dimensions of plywood sheets, carcases are usually 23-something deep (call it 24 with face frame) by 31-something high (call it 32 or 33-something with the countertop).

Actually kitchen counters including the top are right at 36 inches high. Bath room counter tops are shorter.

Except at my brother-in-laws house. His bathroom cabinet tops are higher than his kitchen tops. He got this deal on some cabinets ...

Yeah the taller bathroom cabinets are becoming popular for the "mans" side of the bathroom.

But he put them in the kids' bathroom. Suffice to say his wife was quite pleased that she didn't have to clean the kids's sink anymore. The eldest child was 5 and couldn't reach the sink at all. I think they wound up buying a step-stool for the kids to stand on.
This is the same genius that glued posters to the wall using epoxy glue. Why? He didn't want any unsightly residue from the "poster putty" left on the wall.
When ultra-genius panelled the stairway he did it during the coldest day of the year when the RH was at it's lowest and had been that way for a couple of weeks (-20 degrees for a low and no humidifier). He cut the panelling to fit perfectly between the stair stringer and the ceiling. When spring came he almost took his fingers off coming down the stairs. The panelling had expanded and bowed out to where there was now about 1/4 inch gap between the railing and the panelling.
Then there was the time he bought a really nice mitre saw that did compound angles, etc. It was a really nice saw that was the best on the market at the time. What did he buy it for? Cutting firewood for his fireplace. He kept it on his back stoop. It was junk 1/2 way through winter. When I asked him about it that spring, he said it quit working so he tossed it out. He added that he would never buy another tool made by that company like it was the companies fault it quit wording after it laid out all winter in the rain and snow.
I am willing to bet some serious money he tossed out the Unisaw my father gave him. That is probably a good thing. He would have cut himself or one of his kids in two with it...lengthwise.
This is the same guy that cut a 4 inch hole in his roof for his TV antenna mast. He said he didn't want to put a tripod up on the roof because it might leak. When the living room and kitchen ceiling came down he tried to blame the shoddy roofing materials. I laughed at him.
This is the same guy that refused to get his well pump fixed and supplied his house with water from a hose that ran over to the neighbors house some 200 feet away. That went on for over 6 months. One day the health inspector came out. What the health inspector said was interesting. Suffice to say he had a pump installed the next day.
Super genius has also pulled some other stunts, but I can't remember what they are right now. He used to work for Caterpillar. They couldn't fire him so they made him a manager. He crashed and burned as a manager and was "let go" in less than 6 months after his "promotion". He still say he was laid off. I know different as my wifes uncle was an upper manager at Cat. It was a lay-off of one.
Yup....he puts the "fun" into dis-fun-ctional.
I learned to stay the hell away from him. So far so good. We are 2000 miles apart now. Now I don't have to listen to the stupidity. It seems like it was always something stupid every week. Living near him was depressing.
ROTFL!

Please post them if you remember them.
-- Mark
Agreed. This is rather entertaining.

As I recall them I will but I am afraid that some may be skeptical about super-genius' antics. For those that dispute by expereinces, plase just ignore them. As for the rest, this will make Red Green look smart.

I find that 36" works better in the bathroom than the more common 32" vanity height. Less back strain, more storage underneath with better accessibility. Though we do have a 32 incher in the guest bath for the sake of the grand kids.
Joe Bemier wrote:

Standard kitchen countertop height is 36" and standard bases are 34.5". Most people wouldn't notice an inch difference during the initial inspections prior to purchase. Two inches higher would be noticed but would better suit an increasing segment of the population as people are getting taller. Unless they're exceptionally tall, I mean NBA tall, I wouldn't go over 40".
Bottom line, if they're not planning on selling the house within 10 or 15 years the owners should make the cabinets whatever height works for them. Kitchens aren't forever items in most homes.

Typically the depth is 24" and height is 36". Many lenders require and have specific specs in this range. Deviate too much and you may have trouble selling to a buyer wanting a particular type loan.
Leon wrote:

Building a set of kicks is cheap. Fabricate regular cabinets, but put them on 6" kicks...or 8" even. Then it's easy enough to disassemble and cut them down to 4" when the time comes? The 'tall kick' look is actually somewhat attractive if decorated with some sliced turnings/legs.
Or, buoild the wall cabinets at 36" as per usual, and make an island 42" high (stand-up bar height) again, with the intent of lowering when needed.
...just some thoughts.
If you are going to raise the countertops, make sure you keep upper cabinets at 18" off the countertop elevation. Also, use a cook-top instaed of a regular range, for all the obvious reasons.
Remember that a standard slide in stove and dishwasher are designed for a standard 36" height.
Christian

A dishwasher raised above the floor works well.
Pat wrote:

Better than when it's sitting on the floor. Same with laundry machines.
We're still an evolving species. ;)
wrote in message

Jim
The 36" height is the top of the counter top. Most dishwashers will fit in a 33-1/2" - 34-1/2" space.
-- d phi / dt
RicodJour wrote:

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 17:11:25 -0700, "Pat"

As would one of the drawer type.
Mark (sixoneeight) = 618