Kitchen cabinet door coating?

Daughters' house has cabinets with some type of coating. Near the knob of one door the coating has split at the inside corner and can be pulled away from the substrate. Hinges have Aristokraft on them and as they bought the house in repro sale the cabinet maker isn't known. Is there a special substance to reattach the material before it splits and becomes a major headache? Didn't DAGS as we're on the east coast and home is on west coast.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Bobnospam1) wrote in message

Doors are probably a thermofoil on mdf. Try gluing it back together. There is no fix. Aristocraft is probably the maker of the cabinets. It is a common practice to put custom hinge covers with maker name. I believe they are rather low end cabinets.
Mike
Builder of house cut every corner possible and then some per builder of the rest of the homes in the development. Thanks for apparent confirmation of quality rating, cabinets are NOT impressive! Daughter says LOTS of separations. Adhesive suggestions welcomed.

If the carcass of the cabinets are in decent shape, they could get some pretty nice replacement doors.
Fine Woodworking this month had a good article on using mdf for painted cabinetry, but until just now I didn't notice there wasn't much if anything said about attaching hinges to the stuff. As I recall, its not the greatest for screw retention. (Or am I just biased based on experience with cheap particleboard!)
Bill

knob of one

away from the

house in