kickback aprons

Page 1 of 3
reading some old safety manuals they mentioned something i had not ever heard of
this was working with a table saw or saw bench
they recommended a kick back apron not a bad idea really it does happen once in a while still
well of course they recommended goggles too and safety shoes
On Mon, 25 Jul 2016 16:57:24 -0700, Electric Comet

Why not stand out of the way?

While I never heard of a kickback apron, I found a picture of one at this URL.
www.kcma.org/Uploads/file/Table%20Saw%20Safety%20Final.ppt
Personally seeing pictures of boards stuck in the wall and other places, I am not about to wear a kickback apron, and stand where I can get hit if there is a Kickback.
I thing the best advice to protect yourself form kick back is always stand at the side of the saw where any flying projectiles will not hit you.
On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 21:59:38 -0400, Keith Nuttle

I had it happen a couple of times with my RAS, thought not with my TS. I think part of the problem is the power (more isn't necessarily bad).

+1
I stand on the other side of the fence when I'm ripping.
On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 21:59:38 -0400, Keith Nuttle

I have a leather apron just in case.
On 7/26/2016 8:59 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

That, and prevention ... use a splitter/riving knife.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 7/26/2016 8:59 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

Not true, you can be hit by the piece deflecting off of other objects, like a shattered board. Been there done that.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in wrote:

Sometimes a knot or something comes flying out at an odd angle, so "out of the way" isn't something you can totally plan. But standing to the far side of the fence should guard against everything but the rarest cases.
Didn't Norm wear a leather apron in some shows? They got really safety concious for a while, after folk started pointing out all the bad habits Norm had.
John

Very true. And I'll take this as an opportunity to once again plug for the use of face shields instead of safety glasses: your eyes are not the only things on your face that are worth protecting.

Agree. A buddy almost got sued fer allowing another buddy to use his Baldor grinder. Despite the grinder having stock metal guards and a smallish spark sheild, the stone broke and come outta the grinder and literally wasted the user's face. He could still see, BUT!.....
nb
On 7/27/2016 12:42 PM, notbob wrote:

With a grinder like a table saw, you should never stand directly in front of the spinning stone. Rarely can you not do the job, by standing off to the side of the plane of the spinning stone.
On 7/27/2016 11:44 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

Now, after almost 60 years of table saw use, you tell me. I don't even own a face shield. Should I get the crash helmet, face shield with air tanks and ear muffs built in? I have a giant warning sign that says, "Don't put hand in saw blade", in case I forget, or some millennial uses the saw. Thought that would be enough...
If a 2by flies back and knocks out all my teeth and blinds me, do ya think I could sue the saw company, or the saw blade company, or Norm for not using a face shield on TV?
Some people would be better off staying away from all power tools and sticking to Pokeymon and watching old re-runs of Scott Phillips American Woodshop.
--
Jack
On 7/28/2016 8:43 AM, Jack wrote:

Jack I can't attest to this but the above comments kind'a sound like you may have been hit in the head a few too many times already, probably too late for protection. ;~)
On 7/28/2016 10:57 AM, Leon wrote:

Which comments? The one pointing out 60 years w/o a face mask and no injuries of any kind? The one making fun of all the really stupid warning labels on everything, or the one where stupid people get to sue because they didn't know the coffee was hot?
Is your point, you can't be too safe, or, if it saves one finger in 10 trillion saw cuts you need to wring your hands over it?
I grew up in an era where the swimming pools had diving boards, playgrounds had swings and sliding boards and tons of other things now gone due to safety and law suits. Parents who let their kids go out unsupervised and play are arrested for endangering the safety of kids. School buses pick up kids that live one block away from the school.
I believe a lot is lost when you overprotect, thus my reference to millennials. Kids need to learn responsibility for themselves, and that seems to be pretty much lost in this screwed up world of lawyers and government protection.
--
Jack
On 7/30/2016 9:14 AM, Jack wrote:

Yes. It is not a matter of if, so much as when. The more you use power tools the more this is likely to happen. You nicked yourself with a hand tool, that is just as easy with a power tool.
or, if it saves one finger in 10

Agreed to a point. Some protection is good. A parachute is good to have when skydiving. ;~)
On 7/28/2016 9:43 AM, Jack wrote:

If there is one given in life, at no time will you be totally safe.
The prevailing thought in the US today is, if there is a remote possibility of accident you must pass a law or require a guard to prevent it. Hence we have a ton of unnecessary and ridiculous laws trying to protect us from ourselves.
The best safety device sits in the middle and slightly above your shoulders. If that safety device is not used there is nothing in the world that will protect you from an accident.
Remember the man who was killed in the "totally safe" self driving car in Florida.
I have been using a table saw for over 40 years. I have had one accident with the saw, and that was because I did a stupid thing. Fortunately I lost no appendages, though looked at the bone on one.

I learned this while reading the evening paper, when I was about 7-8 yrs old.
A family was jes sitting down to their evening meal. Day is done, saying a prayer around the evening table. A couple blocks away, unbeknownst to sed family, a Navy fighter jet from a nearby military base, crash lands in a vacant field. The pilot died crashing the jet in a safe place. So he thought......
The nose landing gear from the jet split off during the crash landing and bounced 2-3 blocks from the crash site and tore thru the front door of the unsuspecting family enjoying their evening meal. That landing gear ripped thru the front door, missed the wife and kids, and cut the father in half!
IOW, one second, safe! The next, dead.
Sadly, I know similar stories. 8|
nb
On Thu, 28 Jul 2016 12:33:37 -0400, Keith Nuttle wrote:

So we shouldn't take reasonable precautions?
Yes, some people get carried away, but I think I'll keep using my helmet on the motorcycle, my seatbelt in the car, and my face shield when turning.
A lot of us are old geezers. Having a heart attack, a stroke, or just a sudden severe pain is more than a remote possibility. If I'm using a power tool, especially one with a spinning blade, when such occurs I suspect I'll be very happy the guards were in place whan I collapsed :-).
carrying a cross.
On Thu, 28 Jul 2016 09:43:41 -0400

haha
some people definitely should not use power tools very true
never heard of that show will have to look for it now
On Thursday, July 28, 2016 at 1:08:23 PM UTC-4, Electric Comet wrote:

I was helping a buddy build a cabin, cutting the bird-mouths on the rafters with a circular saw. His brother showed up and asked what he could do to help. I was bored with cutting the rafters, so I started to explain to him how to do it. My buddy interrupted us and sent him off to do some menial task.
I was slightly pissed because I had something more interesting that I wanted to do when my buddy turned to me and quietly said:
"He's dangerous with hand tools, deadly with power tools."
After watching the brother work for a little while, I was glad that my buddy had intervened.