kickback aprons

reading some old safety manuals they mentioned something i had not ever heard of

this was working with a table saw or saw bench

they recommended a kick back apron not a bad idea really it does happen once in a while still

well of course they recommended goggles too and safety shoes

Reply to
Electric Comet

Why not stand out of the way?

Reply to
krw

While I never heard of a kickback apron, I found a picture of one at this URL.

Personally seeing pictures of boards stuck in the wall and other places, I am not about to wear a kickback apron, and stand where I can get hit if there is a Kickback.

I thing the best advice to protect yourself form kick back is always stand at the side of the saw where any flying projectiles will not hit you.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

I had it happen a couple of times with my RAS, thought not with my TS. I think part of the problem is the power (more isn't necessarily bad).

I stand on the other side of the fence when I'm ripping.

Reply to
krw

I have a leather apron just in case.

Reply to
Markem

That, and prevention ... use a splitter/riving knife.

Reply to
Swingman

snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Sometimes a knot or something comes flying out at an odd angle, so "out of the way" isn't something you can totally plan. But standing to the far side of the fence should guard against everything but the rarest cases.

Didn't Norm wear a leather apron in some shows? They got really safety concious for a while, after folk started pointing out all the bad habits Norm had.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

John McCoy wrote in news:XnsA6526AC2F245Fpogosupernews@213.239.209.88:

Very true. And I'll take this as an opportunity to once again plug for the use of face shields instead of safety glasses: your eyes are not the only things on your face that are worth protecting.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Agree. A buddy almost got sued fer allowing another buddy to use his Baldor grinder. Despite the grinder having stock metal guards and a smallish spark sheild, the stone broke and come outta the grinder and literally wasted the user's face. He could still see, BUT!.....

nb

Reply to
notbob

With a grinder like a table saw, you should never stand directly in front of the spinning stone. Rarely can you not do the job, by standing off to the side of the plane of the spinning stone.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Doesn't always work. Yesterday my saw threw a small cutoff out at an angle well away from the line of cut. Luckily all it did was bruise a couple of knuckles.

Reply to
Trenbidia

leather welding aprons would suffice i think

Reply to
Electric Comet

Any off-axis projectiles will have a lot less energy. I don't worry about a couple of bruised knuckles. Perhaps I should, though. Blood thinners make such things a little more of a problem.

Reply to
krw

You can never be in a totally safe location. I have been on the other side of the fence and have been hit.

Reply to
Leon

Not true, you can be hit by the piece deflecting off of other objects, like a shattered board. Been there done that.

Reply to
Leon

Exactly, use a TS long enough and you see exceptions to the popular thought that the fence is going to be the division between safe and not safe.

Reply to
Leon

Trenbidia wrote in news:nnb5n3$1gab$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

Yep. I had a small offcut come flying out of a compound-miter saw a bit to the side and high -- knocked the face shield off of my head. Damn glad I had it on. That would've left a mark.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Now, after almost 60 years of table saw use, you tell me. I don't even own a face shield. Should I get the crash helmet, face shield with air tanks and ear muffs built in? I have a giant warning sign that says, "Don't put hand in saw blade", in case I forget, or some millennial uses the saw. Thought that would be enough...

If a 2by flies back and knocks out all my teeth and blinds me, do ya think I could sue the saw company, or the saw blade company, or Norm for not using a face shield on TV?

Some people would be better off staying away from all power tools and sticking to Pokeymon and watching old re-runs of Scott Phillips American Woodshop.

Reply to
Jack

Jack I can't attest to this but the above comments kind'a sound like you may have been hit in the head a few too many times already, probably too late for protection. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

If there is one given in life, at no time will you be totally safe.

The prevailing thought in the US today is, if there is a remote possibility of accident you must pass a law or require a guard to prevent it. Hence we have a ton of unnecessary and ridiculous laws trying to protect us from ourselves.

The best safety device sits in the middle and slightly above your shoulders. If that safety device is not used there is nothing in the world that will protect you from an accident.

Remember the man who was killed in the "totally safe" self driving car in Florida.

I have been using a table saw for over 40 years. I have had one accident with the saw, and that was because I did a stupid thing. Fortunately I lost no appendages, though looked at the bone on one.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle