Keyless chucks

Page 2 of 2

Do you mean the jaws of your keyless chuck slip or the torque setting of your clutch slips?
Many clutches can be set up for increased torque & some can't, older Makita's for instance can have one or two torque washers added to beef up the clutch, some makes if you remove the chuck & open the clamshell can have the torque increased by turning the change ring back a notch or two, some have a threaded inner clutch cam that can be rotated forward so that when you replace the change ring in the correct position the torque is increased considerably. DeWalt have used a few different style clutches, not normally prone to slipping unless the clutch housing assembly has cracked.
Sometime if the hi/lo shifter does not fully engage the orbital gears the clutch will appear to slip when actually it is the gears slipping out, this may be due to dirt, lack of lubrication, worn gears or bent or worn shifter mechanism.
If it is the chucks jaws that slip, replace the chuck with a better quality one...there are some excellent heavier duty keyless chucks available these days, some with a very effective lock once tightened.
--
Jon Down

Need blades??
I brought this up a couple of months ago and I seemed the only one with this slipping problem . I would like to replace my keyless chucks with keyed ones .
I dont know I folks know this but keyed chucks can be tightened he same way keyless ones are . I have been tightening chucks that way for 50 years only using a chuck key when doing heavy drilling operations.....mjh
-- http://members.tripod.com/mikehide2

Good point, Mike. So have I.
To the OP...
Clean up the inside real good every now and then. I use alcohol to get all the grime off...then hit it with a medium-tooth file to rough it up a bit. I seem to get about 3 months or so out of 'em this way...then need to clean again.
And the same should be done to the bits, too.
But that doesn't solve the problem entirely. You just can't get the same torque by hand that you can with a tool.
Good luck.
Have a nice week...
Trent
I have a couple keyless chucks that work fine. One is on a Dewalt corded drill and the other on a Ryobi cordless. I have a Makita keyed chuck that is worthless.
Dick

A good chek for a quality chuck is its ability to hold a 1/16" drill bit securely .......mjh
-- http://members.tripod.com/mikehide2

the nicest chuck I own is an albrecht keyless. it's on a taper to fit the tailstock of my lathe. I wish I could afford to have those for all of my chucks....
My experience is just as yours. I can recall many years ago, when Keyless chucks were rare and expensive, using them on milling machines. They worked just fine, and the demands were much more arduous on a miller. My conclusion, keyless chucks on lo-cost price competitive tools are just c**p, and should be replaced with a keyed type.
wrote:

John Hewitt ... Malaga ... Spain
Do the Albrecht chicks work on most of your standard issue cordless drills? Or are they more for stationary drill press stuff?
@hotmail.com says...

No problem with those chicks on my chuck <G>
--

Phillip Hansen
Skil-Phil Solutions