Junk hardware at HD

Page 1 of 2
I made a cherry chest and I'm finally putting the hardware on it. The handles went on first. Bought them from Lee Valley and had no problems
Then I tried the hinges, Ives brand from Home Depot. The screws are CRAP. I pre-drilled the holes to the size stated on the package. Three screws broke and two heads stripped before they could break. I learned a lesson on this buy. No more hardware from the big box stores. Ed

on
Yeh, I drilled and soaped the screws and about half stripped. I wound up using screws from other packages. When I returned the hinges without the screw and started to explain, the cashier cut me off. Apparently she had heard it all before.

on
I'm careful even when buying from litle boxes like our local Ace. The Hillman stuff they carry is made from an alloy of lead and moonbeams called "sleazite."
Bob

So the hinges are ok, its the screws that are shitty. Seems like an easy fix to me, buy them seperately & dump the ones that come with the hinges. Good excuse to load up on a selection of decent wood screws<G>.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
<snip>

on
It is too bad but HD is no longer a supplier of quality goods IMHO.
Strictly a commodity supplier these days, and that especially applies to power tools.
The recent 20% discount for power tools was attractive; however, the acceptable choice of tools available was very limited.
Just my view point.
YMMV
--
Lew

Hindsight is so comfortingly accurate, isn't it? Just about the time when I think I'm ahead of the game, somebody comes up with a newer, sleazier product and I have to make another trip to HD for the fix that will make it work. "Travel twice, fit once."
"Grandpa" <jsdebooATcomcast.net> wrote in message

CRAP.
lesson on

says...

McFeely's is great for most stuff, but if you want real brass screws, with the real look of brass, Jamestown Distributors: <http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/
No affiliation, just a satisfied customer

You have to be careful what you buy at HD. It's all about profit. I found much of their hardware items are overpriced and low quality. Their lawn fertilizer selection is usually good.
Phisherman wrote:

So you're saying that their BS is high quality? Now why doesn't that surprise me. Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

And their best fertilizer is found in the spiel from the tool manager, in my experience.
Kevin

So the hardware is crap, and the crap is good crap?
You have to predrill the holes and take your time and GO SLOWLY. Of course having the right size screwdriver helps too. I do not mean this as being smart aXX but I just installed about a hundred of those itsy bitsy screws and none broke. If I felt one getting a bit tight, I stopped and backed it out and drilled the hole a little deeper. Brass looks nice, and most of these screws must be made out of aluminum, then plated. I just took my time and they all went in with no problems.. I did run across the occasional screw that had "flash" in the phillips slot. I chunked them and got a replacement from the BORG...

on

time
I drilled pilot holes, used the right size screwdriver, soaped the screws and went slowly. About half stripped out.
And none of them were aluminum. Why on earth would they use brass plated aluminum! (ignoring the fact that you can't brass plate aluminum)
Toller wrote:

Annodize it? It's definitely possible to get a brassy-looking substance onto aluminum. I have no idea how it's done though.
Sure can. I've silver plated it too.

Not commercially/economically. You can brass plate your lunch if you wanted to, but that doesn't mean it can be done reasonably.

plated
I was doing it commercialy.

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

I agree. I just broke several screws on a project just by snugging them down.
Rich
Yeah, I've found the same.
Keep in mind that HD didn't get to be where they are by selling quality stuff. They got there by selling stuff cheap and often that means selling cheap -- in every sense of the word -- stuff. I've learned to look carefully at what I buy there if it's not a name brand. And for most hardware I don't even bother looking at HD any more because I've seen too much that was just plain crap.