Jointer Woes

Page 2 of 2

Final solution: Returning the JT160 to Amazon - may have issues with not returning it in the original box, but I'll deal with that later - so far they say no problem. And ordered the Bridgewood from Wilke's. I suspect I would have no more luck than Tony. I called the local Delta service today and they were as helpful as they could be. I told them I suspected a slightly warped outfeed table and they put in an order to ship me a replacement - and they mentioned that the infeed and outfeed tables were identical - something that's pretty obvious when you look at it, but I didn't notice anyway. So I scampered downstairs and swaped them and gave it a try - but no joy, I had exactly the same problem. Then I loosened the nuts that hold the plates that the tables mount onto (thinking that maybe one was bound in an unlevel position. When I measured it, it looked like I had fixed the problem.
But I ran a couple of pieces through and got exactly the same results. I said "gosh darn" and got on the phone and ordered the Bridgewood.
Gee, you guys have all the fun. I inherited a "Dunlap" jointer (Sears, pre-Craftsman). Wooden stand and all. Had to put a new motor in it last year ($5.00 - garage sale) never had a bit of trouble with it except for a worn out motor - - I've had it for 15 years now and don't have a clue as to it's age.
"Anonymoose" <Ihatespam> wrote in message

the
On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 10:23:18 -0600, Anonymoose <Ihatespam> wrote:

I have the 6" Delta and was experiencing the same problem as you and getting very frustrated re calibrating everything over and over again - I even tried to get some help on this NG but the blathering idiots started their war of words and I never did get any worthwhile advice, just insults about my high expectations with cheap equipment - my problem ended up being slight sagging at the ends of the tables - it's easy to correct - tighten the upper table set screws first. then the bottoms - I was doing it the other way around per the manual, ie from bottom to top - it doesn't take much of a sag to throw things off just enough to bow the middle - get yourself a good 3-4 foot straightedge and a small toolmaker's square - they're a reliable reference and worth every penny - the other guys are right about the critical knife adjustments and the need not to apply downforce on the piece - anytime you vary the dowforce you're affecting the depth of the cut - shuffling along with slight even pressure is good. Once properly set up you'll really enjoy using your jointer.
Good luck

Thanks - but I think mine's an even cheaper version of yours - the JT160 - looks like it is SUPPOSED to be machined flat at the factory with no ability to adjust it beyond shims...at least there are no instructions in my manual.
I'm with you, I don't think it's to much to expect it to work as advertised. I read the reviews at amazon before buying it, but the reviews were from Great to Lousy so took the gamble. It's not like I'm expecting great performance, just flat boards.
You got that little bench-top thing. I had one once and it worked great if you were careful (thin cuts and flip the piece end for end on each pass). You're correct, there is no ability to adjust it
"Anonymoose" <Ihatespam> wrote in message

reviews