Jointer vs Table saw cut quality

Page 3 of 3
mac davis writes:

How does that relate? You joint a face and an edge, then rip the parallel edge. I see no lack of need for the jointer.
Charlie Self "There are two ways of exerting one's strength: one is pushing down, the other is pulling up." Booker T. Washington

Huh... If you are infering that if a TS can produce an edge as clean as a jointer, the jointer is going to waste time, you are wrong. The jointer IS NOT supposed to be used to clean up TS cuts. A jointers primary purpose is to Straighten and Flatten Stock. If you are going from the TS to the jointer you are doing every thing backwards.

I've seen Norm cut stock on the tablesaw then clean up the edge on the jointer. He clearly states he is leaving the cut heavy so he can do that.
Think maybe he just can't afford a good blade? ;)
FWIW, every glue up I've done is with the edge from the saw. I seen no reason to change that.

Yeah I have seen that too. I wonder if he simply does not know any better or if he is demonstrating another way to get a smooth edge if your TS is not making good cuts. I was taught to never take the board from the saw to the jointer and that was from 2 different instructors. For acurate cutting, cutting proud and finishing with a jointer just does not make sense.
Not a shill for Forrest but...
I used to use a blade on the TS that a trip to the jointer would improve upon. Bought the WWII and wouldn't think of going to the jointer most of the time because the cut is so smooth. I'm sure other premium blades will do the same. You get what you pay for. The middle of the road blade didn't equal the jointer. The premium blade betters the jointer. YPYMYTYC>
bob g.
Leon wrote:

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 20:47:16 -0500, Robert Galloway

What are the main differences between a premium blade and, say, a blade that DeWalt makes (or someone makles for them...) that DeWalt claims to be very good ?
GregP wrote:

The word "claims".
UA100

C'mon now - don't be throwing rocks at my Dumpster-Diving-Find-DeWalt-7623-Last-Years-Model-On-Closeout-At-Toolking-For-$29-Blade...
I read someplace that it was as good as the Forrest 'Dorker II.
Hell, if the 'Dorker II is so damned good, how come they ain't working on a 'Dorker III model?
I rest my case!

Bob Griffiths

quality of YOUR equipment and use what is best in YOUR shop. All else is irrelevant.