Jet TS arbor problem/blade cupping

I was checking the alignment of my JET tablesaw today, and noticed that

the blade (WWII)was cupped quite a bit (at least 1/16") when I tightened the arbor nut. I think the problem is in the arbor flange (the one next to the nut); it seems like it was incorrectly machined and forces the blade to cup whenever I tightened it.

I assume getting a blade stabilizer would help, but I want to first fix

the arbor flange problem if it is indeed defective. Any ideas or suggestions?

Reply to
planesmooth

It seems obvious to call Jet Customer support to me. Jet is very good at making good original factory defects, no matter how long out of warranty it may be.

Bob

Reply to
bluemax1811-newsgroups

Dished in? Is the outside washer's diameter not equal to the arbor facing (fixed part)? Only way I see that this could be a problem, unless we're on a different wavelength, and you're talking about misalignment of the blade on the arbor itself.

You set the blade on the table and all the teeth more or less touch regardless of side, so the blade is not naturally dished in, so it would almost have to be the difference in diameters or a belly in the washer itself, which would make the effective diameter less. If your washer has a dished in center, it should face the blade, of course.

Stabilizer may not "stabilize" the blade that much, but it does cut down on noise with a lot of them.

Reply to
George

Get out the dial indicator and check the arbor shoulder where the blade rests to be sure it is flat. Also, check the run out of the threaded part. If both are true, then something else is causing this.

If they are NOT true, time to talk to Jet support about this

John

Reply to
John

I have had this problem on my Unisaw. The nut is too tight. The arbor is threaded so it won't loosen when running. It really doesn't have to be very tight to work.max

Reply to
max