Jet 1442 Problem

Page 2 of 2

If it runs correctly, nothing. Why would I want them to do anything?
I called them to learn more about this extraneous piece and how critical it is. They were very helpful by the way and said to call them if the motor doesn't run after I put it back together and they would try to help me out even though the motor (and the entire lathe, for that matter) is out of warranty.
It was certainly worth the call.
Joe C.

Because you'd always be waiting for the other shoe to drop. The piece came from somewhere, perhaps somewhere structural. Failure could come without notice. Accidental success is the bane of every repairman's existence.
I'm in a similar circumstance myself, having assembled my new drillpress with two long bolts left over. Though identified in the materials list, there were no instructions as to where to put them. It seems to run right, but why would anyone cost-conscious include extra hardware? Waiting for an answer from them.

How about something along the lines of supplying a motor that doesn't have this flaw? After all, it has caused the lathe to be inoperable and now we have a part missing from the motor that we don't understand the function of, which may or may not be of critical importance to the safe, reliable functioning of the motor. Also, damage to the motor may have occurred as a result of this part flopping around loose, which may have severely shortened the usable life of the motor, especially the windings.