Jet 12" VS Grizz 14" GO555 Band saw

Guess this should be a no brainer, but, have been looking at the Jet 12" BS and the salesman tells me that buying the saw, fence, miter gage, and mobile base I can get a package deal. Don't know what that amounts to but probably around $500 +/- and I can go there and pick it up.(Western Tool, Redlands, Ca.) Now the Grizz will cost about the same amt. Don't know which has the better fence tho. The Grizz has 1/2 HP more. Being able to add a riser block isn't an option as my tool shed will just accomadate the heighth of the BS w/o the riser. So as far as I can see my only advantage in the Grizz is the

1/2 HP. For that I have to hassel with getting it delivered by a trucking co. So still considering as my 1st choice the Jet 12". Also if there is a problem, where I bought it is close by. Whatcha y'all think? Thanks.
Reply to
Paul O.

Will you some day have a bigger shop? The Jet 14" would be a better option as you can add a riser later if desired. I too, looked at the Jet 12" but bought hte 14" and don't regret it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
Paul O.

Go with the Grizzly. Check out all the tool reviews and you'll see that the Grizzly G0555 has the top rating from Popular WW, Wood Magazine and other magazines. Plan for the future use too not for the present. For example, I would much rather drive a BMW than a Yugo.

Reply to
Ace

Not when you can double the "Value" of a Yugo simply by filling the tank with Gasoline...

Bob Griffiths No Bimmer... No Yugo... and no use really for either lol

Reply to
Bob G.

I've got the Grizzly G0555 and love it. It too will accomodate the riser block if you ever need it, although it sounds as though you won't. Plenty of hp in that saw too and set up was a snap. When ordered from Missouri, it took all of 3 days to arrive in Florida at my door. Pricewise, I couldn't get the Jet anywhere near the Grizzly even without the fence, miter gauge, and mobile base on the Jet. I read all the reviews, did the research and chose the G0555. No regrets, but your mileage might vary.

bill otten

Reply to
Bill Otten

AFAIAC, it is a no brainer for the Griz. I spent $586 that day, brought home the G0555, riser kit, Shop Fox mobile base, and 2 or 3 extra blades, as well as a couple other odd's 'n' ends. PA sales tax(Muncy store) pretty much offset the shipping, but I got to spend some "drool time" in the store, and combined the day with a family visit.

Original setup was a snap, although supplied 3/8" blade had a fair amount of "lead" when I tried it out. The only problem I had was after installing the riser kit, the blade in the kit was very hard to mount. Emailed Griz tech support, including my thought that maybe the blade was a hair short, we worked it through, put on one of the purchased 105" blades and it was fine. Griz tech support sent me a new 105" blade gratis.

Used it to resaw some Quilted Maple from a stump slab. about 10" deep, lopping off 13/16" to 1" slabs with a 3/4" 3TPI blade, did wonderful.

I am definitely a Happy Camper.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

I've been thinking of buying this saw. I've wondered about the value of buying the riser kit (and then the longer 3rd party blades to make use of it) from two perspectives, both probably reflecting the fact that I've never owned a BS. Does the saw really have the power to resaw harder woods over 6" ? Wouldn't the narrower opening, with the guides closer to each other, result in more stable behavior, with less drift, etc ? Or is that not an issue ? Thanks !

Reply to
GregP

Reply to
Paul O.

I have resawn 11" hard maple with no problem. This is not a production resaw; however it very hobbest friendly for resaw use. The upper guide is adjustable. It needs to be set for the thickness being sawn. Get the riser and 105" blades so that you will not have to tune the saw twice and then throw away your short blades.

Reply to
Alan Bierbaum

The fence on mine was dead on square when it arrived. Really should make a taller fence for resaw purposes, but the stuff I cut rested square on the table and went through very nicely.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Reply to
Steven Bliss

I have the Griz too and have mixed feelings about it. It has plenty of power but I was having a horrible time changing blades for some reason compared to the one I had before. Now, I hang off the top and use spring clamps to hold them there and then pull it over the bottom, tighten and then track which seems to work much better. I know you are not supposed to really use 3/4 blades on a 14" saw but mine seems to like it and runs it perfectly.

The mixed feeling came from the ball bearing guides that came with it. Trying to adjust the bottom ones (they are eccentric) was a real PITA and I didn't like them in general. Called Griz and got the parts that holds blocks and like the saw much better now. I'm still considering upgrading to the 0513 because I resaw allot but I'm also thinking of just going with the riser kit since power hasn't been a problem.

Don

Reply to
D. J. Dorn

You could put the riser on it and make a new base that's 6" shorter.

brian

Reply to
brian lanning

Only problem with that solution os that you would be bandsawing six inches lower. I know some folks who put their tools on stands because they are tall and find the conventional heights too low for comfort.

If you were short, no problem. Otherwise....

Reply to
Lee Michaels

resaw bandsaws generally have lower tables anyway. not really a problem....

Reply to
bridger

Just one more data point of G0555 owners. I just received and put together my G0555 last night and I am very happy so far. Everything went together well and the saw came in flawless condition. Tonight I pop on the riser block. I was a little leery of trucking company damage, but none to be found. I also bought the G0500 8" jointer this summer and that also was packed very well and had zero damage to it. Works great and tons of power. Friend o' mine got the 1182Z contractor saw this summer as well and also in perfect condition and he loves it. For some tools, Grizz is definitely the best bang for the buck.

Reply to
Rob