Ive done it now

Simple question white oak tabletop now have 3 coats of danish oil on can I?

  1. put oil based varnish on top of this
  2. put quick drying varnish on this (anbody every tried this?) Iv'e been told you can. Regards Connor
Reply to
Connor Aston

I do it all the time. But...always do a test on a piece of scrap. Don't believe everything you read.

Reply to
rickluce

Yes you can.

Reply to
Leon

Wait a few days for the danish oil to be good and dry.

Reply to
MB

Mon, Jan 9, 2006, 11:03pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@connoraston.com (Connor=A0Aston) stumbled in and mumbled: Iv'e been told you can.

Read the sig block. Try it.

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

Dewaxed shellac, commercially sold in paint stores as Zinnser Seal Coat, will work as a fine barrier between almost anything. I also adds a slight warm amber tone to white oak that many folks really like. Comprehensive usage and compatibility instructions are on the can.

Anytime you're not sure, do a sample board on scrap. No scrap? Test on the bottom.

When in doubt, use a barrier coat.

The bottom line is yes, an oil varnish should work fine over danish oil, with the following cautions:

- Pigment removal: If the oil has a pigment in it (solids), the varnish can break it free, allowing your brush or rag to redistribute the pigment. This will show up in the final finish as brush marks or light spots. Seal Coat will prevent this.

- If the oil is still oozing from the pores, keep wiping and wait until it stops.

Have fun, Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Eh, in red oak that takes awhile. As I found. White oak is better, but still porous.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

Sorry people can I use quick drying AND oil based or just oil based thanks Connor

OH no not another tool purchase . . . yes this today

anyone any tips and can you make your own plugs?

Reply to
Connor Aston