It's always a puzzle

Except for the fact that you said you need to hold lots and lots of pressure on them while driving? ;)

This is good.

Don't Kregs have a type-17 tip, with the milled self-start? That's the ticket for quick starts and never a split board. http://www.zerofast.com/screw.htm
-- Energy and persistence alter all things. --Benjamin Franklin
On 10/9/2012 10:40 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

The court stenographer's read-back confirms that I used the word "some", rather than "lots and lots". The official record also has you making a curious assertion about tangential gravity. ;)

"Type 17" is a new term for me, but if it refers to a notch up the tip of the screw that acts as a drill bit, yes, they have that feature.

BZZZZT! Negatory. You made -that- assertion yourself, Greg.

That's it. It makes all the difference in the world, too, when you're driving into the ends of deck boards with 3-1/2" long screws.
Torx is tops.
-- Energy and persistence alter all things. --Benjamin Franklin
On 10/10/2012 11:26 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Logical inference. The weight of a drill will only act to keep the bit in the screw head if it is pointed within a small angle of straight down, at least in my neighborhood. :)

I said "doesn't need much" IIRC. After starting a square head screw into the wood (3/4" or so), I can take my hand off the driver and it will stand there like it was glued on. If yours won't do that, you are buying either the wrong screws, the wrong bits, or both, as I said before. I have to physically wiggle the driver to get the bit out of the driven screw each time. This is with deck screws (galv or epoxy coated) mostly, but I seem to recall it being true with all the black oxide McFeely micro pocket and washer-head screws, too.
-- Energy and persistence alter all things. --Benjamin Franklin

Ok talk like that is going to get you shunned from this group. LOL