Is Tung Oil good for outdoor use?

I made a new rudder handle for a friends sailboat and I'm no sure what to finish it with.

TIA

Reply to
Crater

I would recommend coating it with several layers of clear epoxy then several coats of a good varnish with UV filters. This will seal it for sure and give it longevity and prevent delaminating. You should remember to do the bolt holes as well. Often what is done is to epoxy in a brass tube sized to the bolt.

This is also how most tillers (i.e. rudder handles) are done these days. The varnish is added to provide UV filters. Any epoxy additives that give UV filters make it opaque.

Matt

Let me offer a counter view. I can't remember ever seeing a sailboat with epoxied/urethaned teak deck fittings. They always use oil. Oil finishes aren't as slippery when wet as coatings like epoxy or urethane.

An oil finish isn't going to be a "one-time and forget" proposition - you're going to have to refinish it a couple of times per season. Go to a marine shop and see what kinds of oil finishes they have - you'll find lots.

I've used tung oil for paddles and haven't had any problems. In fact, the older the paddle (and more times it's been oiled) the better it looks. Varnished/ epoxied/urethaned paddles almost always look worse with age.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

Traditionally you are quite correct, but with the newer materials and coatings, it is possible to minimize and in some cases eliminate maintenance.

The reas>

Reply to
SlipJig

I thought the reason that people got into sailing was because their lives were so empty and pointless that they wanted to spend the rest of their lives (and money) cleaning and maintaining a boat?

:-)

Six of one, half dozen of the other IMHO. How do you get a epoxy/varnish surface to not be slippery and still be nice and clear?

I use West Systems almost exclusively. I made an on-deck widget out of epoxy covered MDF and it's held up fine over the years. No UV protection, but lots of black colourant (which may help).

Still like oil. Tradition has its place on the water.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

Marine varnish.