Is spruce worth anything?

I scavenged about 40' of clear spruce 2x6s from a neighbor who is replacing their stairs. Okay, it is only clear on one side, the other side has screw holes.

I can't find anything on spruce as a woodworking lumber. It works nicely and looks good with oil on it. Is there a problem with it that makes it undesirable for cabinetry?

Reply to
toller

it's a little on the soft side, but if that's not a problem for you, go for it.

Reply to
bridger

FWIW, It's used for musical instruments like acoustic guitars.

Reply to
Stephen M

It's pretty much like Pine. The lumber trades have a designation SPF that stands for "Spruce, Pine, Fir". When you buy SPF, you will get one of those three. They consider them pretty much interchangable.

I think the S and P are pretty much the same but the Fir can be a lot nicer if you get the straight grain variety and that is also much like Hemlock which si nearly indistinguisable from Fir as a tree and lumber. P.S. Hemlock trees have a limp top section, the very top of the tree hangs over pointing toward the ground.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

It is said that hemlocks pray, with their heads bowed.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Peterson

SPF Two by fours -- other wise known as Spruce - Pine - Fir Tubafours.

Used in house construction, ships masts etc.

Light, strong, lots of resin sometimes. Spruce gum is nice and so is=20 spruce beer -- made from the resin...

Used in guitar tops (musical grade -- requires tight grain), mantels for =

fireplaces etc.

Nicest spruce I ever saw was in the columns of a fireplace=20 mantel/millwork -- it had been painted many times -- the last time=20 orange -- with yellow flames. I did not have the time to strip -- I=20 threw it out with tears in my eyes.

--=20 Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art

power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20 who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
WillR

I think Hemlock can be a little more brittle and splintery as I recall.=20 Great for chopsticks as the wood seems to "grip" well. Beautiful soft=20 leaves (needles). Turns yellow in the fall as I recall.

Fir I think is lighter and is much smoother and less splintery -- but=20 would have to look up the specs to be sure. You're right about nice=20 tight grained fir - beautiful wood... Fairly flexible and springy in=20 many applications. (From memory not from a reference -- so I am=20 comparing to other woods I had available over the years.)

Fir can be used for masts and general boating applications as I recall.

--=20 Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art

power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20 who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
WillR

Howard Hughes used it to build a pretty good sized airplane.

;-) Glen

Reply to
Glen

Has anyone actually used it for woodworking?!

Reply to
toller

I'm sure someone has... :)

What do you have in mind? Something you would use a soft pine or similar for spruce would be a reasonable substitue.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Humbug. The SPF designation means that they have pretty much the same engineering properties. A hemlock is easily distinguished from fir tree,even

100 feet away. The branches sag and the needles are a mix of lengths which give the tree a kind of lacy look. Up close it is easy to tell the difference. Grab a branch with your bare hand and if it is stickery it is a spruce, if soft a fir.

As for the wood, it is all over the place depending on species especially among the firs.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Only if diseased. Maybe you are thinking of larch.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

You're partly mistaken, George. The Tamarack needles turn yellow and fall off in fall. But the Tamarack is also known as the Larch.

;-)

See

I spent some time in northern BC, and the Tamaracks sure stood out against the evergreens in the fall.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Over the years -- yes -- shelves, boxes, furniture, construction...

Works like white pine -- these days.

Can have gummy patches (resin) -- but otherwise ok.

--=20 Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art

power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20 who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
WillR

Over the years -- yes -- shelves, boxes, furniture, construction...

Works like white pine -- these days.

Can have gummy patches (resin) -- but otherwise ok.

------------- thanks. With oil on it, it actually rather pretty. Though it dents pretty easily.

Reply to
toller

I think you are partly confused, no, just confused. Everything you said is true is except your first statement which was, "You're partly mistaken." Nope, no mistake, part or whole. WillR said SPRUCE needles turned yellow in the fall. Nope, they stay green all year just like firs and hemlock, unless the tree is dying.

Yep, tamarack is a common name for larch. In fact it is the name most often used here, but many people aren't familiar with the name. Yep, the tamarack leaves turn yellow in the fall and fall off, a natural occurrence for a deciduous tree.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Red spruce is highly prized for this and hard to come by these days. A good piece vibrates like a tuning fork when struck ... tapping a red spruce log laying on the ground can actually produce a ringing note.

Reply to
Swingman

I made a picnic table (painted), drill press stand, utility workbench, sawhorses, and a few other oddments. Not fine woodworking, but it's strong and does the job just fine!

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence

No, he didn't. The name "Spruce Goose" was a complete misnomer.

Reply to
dingbat

No, he did not. But you're partly correct > WillR wrote:

Cheers.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone