Is spruce worth anything?

Page 1 of 3

I scavenged about 40' of clear spruce 2x6s from a neighbor who is replacing their stairs. Okay, it is only clear on one side, the other side has screw holes.
I can't find anything on spruce as a woodworking lumber. It works nicely and looks good with oil on it. Is there a problem with it that makes it undesirable for cabinetry?
it's a little on the soft side, but if that's not a problem for you, go for it.
FWIW, It's used for musical instruments like acoustic guitars.

replacing
screw
It's pretty much like Pine. The lumber trades have a designation SPF that stands for "Spruce, Pine, Fir". When you buy SPF, you will get one of those three. They consider them pretty much interchangable.
I think the S and P are pretty much the same but the Fir can be a lot nicer if you get the straight grain variety and that is also much like Hemlock which si nearly indistinguisable from Fir as a tree and lumber. P.S. Hemlock trees have a limp top section, the very top of the tree hangs over pointing toward the ground.
It is said that hemlocks pray, with their heads bowed.
Steve

SonomaProducts.com wrote:

I think Hemlock can be a little more brittle and splintery as I recall. Great for chopsticks as the wood seems to "grip" well. Beautiful soft leaves (needles). Turns yellow in the fall as I recall.
Fir I think is lighter and is much smoother and less splintery -- but would have to look up the specs to be sure. You're right about nice tight grained fir - beautiful wood... Fairly flexible and springy in many applications. (From memory not from a reference -- so I am comparing to other woods I had available over the years.)
Fir can be used for masts and general boating applications as I recall.
WillR wrote:

Only if diseased. Maybe you are thinking of larch.

In article

You're partly mistaken, George. The Tamarack needles turn yellow and fall off in fall. But the Tamarack is also known as the Larch.
;-)
See <http://collections.ic.gc.ca/mississagi/natural/flora/tamarack.htm
I spent some time in northern BC, and the Tamaracks sure stood out against the evergreens in the fall.
djb
Dave Balderstone wrote:

I think you are partly confused, no, just confused. Everything you said is true is except your first statement which was, "You're partly mistaken." Nope, no mistake, part or whole. WillR said SPRUCE needles turned yellow in the fall. Nope, they stay green all year just like firs and hemlock, unless the tree is dying.
Yep, tamarack is a common name for larch. In fact it is the name most often used here, but many people aren't familiar with the name. Yep, the tamarack leaves turn yellow in the fall and fall off, a natural occurrence for a deciduous tree.

No, he did not. But you're partly correct in that I read tamarack where he said hemlock. <g>
In article

Cheers.
djb
Dave Balderstone wrote:

OH Damn! how about I just blame you for my error of inserting spruce for hemlock? Or better yet let's both blame WillR for our mistakes.

That BASTID! Let's GET him!
;-)
djb
On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 01:07:57 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"

That's what I usually do... and Will believes me, too.. *eg*
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
George E. Cawthon wrote:

Uh no -- if so I was wrong or it was a typo.

WillR wrote:

Sorry -- was thinking of Tamarack... It turns yellow in the fall.

<snip>

I've used quite a bit of douglas fir for utility stuff like garage drawer sides and bench/table edges... It's a little harder and stronger than pine or "white wood" and has a much tighter, straighter grain.. Sands and finishes pretty good, for the comparative price..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Douglas fir is not the same as the "fir" in SPF. (unfortunately)
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
Lawrence Wasserman wrote: ...

And, also unfortunately, vice versa... :)

Nor is it a fir. Just to muddy the waters, its genus is Pseudotsuga, or "false Hemlock."
Seems this thread always doubles back on itself....

ARGGGGGGGGGGGG... you're making me crazy, George!!!! *lol* (well, crazier, anyway..)