Is getting lumber off the web a good idea????????????

I was thinking about getting lumber of the net and was interested, if anybody as done it, were they pleased. Also rec's for which companies. Mike
I've had very good luck buying figured woods. Lots of reputable places. One's I've used are: Sandy Ponds hardwood (some great curly maple) Berea Hardwoods (figured cherry) Good Hope Hardwoods (figured cherry slabs). Joewoodworker.com (great veneers and info).
Gary in KC

I'm having trouble finding the actual websites can you post links or actual web addresses? Please. Thanks, Mike    On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:37:02 GMT, "Gary A in KC"

Sandyponds is www.figuredhardwoods.com Berea is http://hometown.aol.com/bereahard/index.html Good Hope is http://www.goodhope.com / joe woodworker is www.joewoodworker .com
Gary in KC
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:37:29 GMT, "Gary A in KC"

some great links, Gary... thanks!

You can add Steve Wall www.walllumber.com to the list as another mail-order supplier with a good rep.
A couple of things to think of, if you intend on ordering lumber:
lumber is fairly heavy - there's advantages in shipping costs to ordering from a dealer that's fairly close.
20 board feet +/- will hit the weight limit for UPS, anything more than that will come truck freight.
web-site pricing is usually based on 100bf multiples.
John
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:24:34 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy

Then there is the length limit, anything over seven feet will have to be cut for UPS shipment.
TWS
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:37:02 GMT, "Gary A in KC"

How do you find the shipping charges?

Think mine may have been Blue Ox.
rhg
Gary A in KC wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.net wrote:

Hartzell (http://www.hartzellwoodstock.bigstep.com/ ) is a good place. I bought 100 bf of rift sawn white oak for $2+ a foot plus shipping. Good stuff at half the price of anything local. Honesty is worth a lot and when it comes with a bargain price, well...     mahalo,     jo4hn
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.net writes:

Do you have the necessary LTP client? The Lumber Transfer Protocol is a rather new development and clients are not so widely available. ;-)

Also be aware that if it is downloaded on a Mac you will only get clear lumber, you will not be able to utilize the PC features offered by Microsoft which include, vertical splits and linear warpage. :-)
--
http://sawdustmaking.com

The good news, of course, is that if there are any bugs in the lumber, it won't affect your Mac.
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:26:12 +0100, Juergen Hannappel

I WANT IT will it work at Playboy.com?
mac davis did say:

Beware LTP will only download lumber, not upload it. You're always on the receiving end...
--
New project = new tool. Hard and fast rule.

I'm sure you can get wood at playboy.com with or without LTP :)
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Fri, Nov 12, 2004, 3:10pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.net I was thinking about getting lumber of the net and was interested, if anybody as done it, were they pleased. Also rec's for which companies. Mike
Depends. Loads of variables, and you left out all the details. What do you mean by "lumber" for one. Where you at? How large of pieces you want? How many pieces of each type you want? What you want to use it for?
If you're talking 2X4s, I would say no. If you're wanting something imported (fron another country, not just from the next county), would depend - on what type of wood, availability to you, and local prices. Maybe you haven't checked, but you could have an exotic wood store near you that has the wood you're interested in, or can order some. In that case, they could be cheaper, or more expensive, then mail order. Depends. Your local telephone book is a good start. If you've already looked, I dont know that, because you don't bother saying.
JOAT Any plan is bad which is incapable of modification. - Publilius Syrus
Mike did say:

You can get lumber off the net. Just don't get any of the load bearing stuff, the net might fall down.
--
New project = new tool. Hard and fast rule.

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:37:02 GMT, "Gary A in KC"
Gary, if you are in KC why not call this number Don Bud Arndt (owner) 816-729-1149 (day/cell) or his websit is
http://www.movnwood.com/newsletter.html .
If you manage to get him please post result here. Thanks.

Bought some off the web from a dealer who also advertises in the wood mags. Good price. Great pieces. Don't remember which one. I'll look in my old invoices and see if I can find it.
bob g.