Irwin chisels - fettling fresh from the box

Page 2 of 2
I was very impressed with the results today, sharpening my chisels on a belt sander. I have no idea why you are accusing me of trolling. In fact, I've seen plenty of credible looking citations for sharpening knives and chisels using a belt sander. Yours sounds like a personal problem to me.
JayPique <mwskaneateles gmail.com> wrote:

A steaming pile of shit.
"Mike Marlow" <mmarlowREMOVE windstream.net> wrote:

<4f541fb8$0$31142$c3e8da3$b280bf18 news.astraweb.com> <32242193.2929.1330914846339.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums vbbed8> <4f5433f4$0$20337$c3e8da3$9deca2c3 news.astraweb.com>

[elided]

[elided]

Mike, look at the nom de plume. Definitely a troll, and you bit.
Given the top-posting and the attitude, it is probably josepi/miII.

Raising the honing angle 2 degrees makes a huge difference with how well Marples chisels hold an edge.

In my case I find Marples chisels' edges are very dependent on how attentive my kids are... For example, in a matter of a few days I lost perhaps 1/4" in length off my 1/2" chisel. One day my son accidently jabbed it into the steel Record vice and broke a corner off the edge. A few days later he dropped it on the concrete floor and broke the other corner off. By the time I ground it back to a straight edge and ground a new bevel on it it lost quite a bit of length. ;~)
Nothing to get upset about... stuff happens. I'd rather loose a 1/4" of chisel than not have my kids using them...
John
On Mar 6, 4:30pm, "John Grossbohlin"

They're inexpensive. Brittle, though. Cheap Stanleys make better prybars.