IPE Sealing to prevent splitting

I am in the process of finishing our deck and plan to wrap the railing with IPE. When I installed the decking material, I sealed the cut ends of the IPE decking with AnchorSeal (waxy sealer).

Now that I will have a significant amount of cross cuts required to wrap the pressure treated pine gaurdrail framining, and given my experience with the excess wax drippings preventing the sealer (Messmers U.V. Plus for hardwoods) from taking properly, I would like to not use it if I can get away with just putting the Messmers on the cut ends.

Has anyone tried to just put a finish like Messmers on the endgrain rather than using an end sealer such as Anchorseal to prevent splitting / checking for wood that would be used in an outdoor environment?

Thanks,

David

Reply to
DL

that's the best stuff.

most of those sealers are not meant to stop moisture. but it depends on how wet the ipe is. if it is only slightly higher in moisture it would be fine. it takes very little anchorseal to work so if you brushed a thin film on you should have no drips. Knight-Toolworks

handmade wooden planes

Reply to
Steve knight

We use AnchorSeal on the Ipe decks that we build. We are very careful to hit every end grain and to be very careful that we do not get the AnchorSeal anyplace we don't want it. A small amount is all that is needed.

SteveP.

Reply to
Highland Pairos

use a roller to apply it a tight weave one with only a small amount on it. Knight-Toolworks

handmade wooden planes

Reply to
Steve knight