IPE Deck Finished!

Page 1 of 2

What a weekend! 450 square feet of IPE deck on a new foundation to replace an old cedar structure that was rotting out, top and bottom. Started bright and early (0600) Friday and just about done at 1400 today (Monday). Dallas heat/humidity made it a real sweater, but lots of Gatorade and a couple of advils each evening kept the old body from pooping out. Had help Friday (hired type) digging holes for the posts and laying out the foundation, after that it was a 1 man show.
http://web2.airmail.net/xleanone/index.html/Deck /
A few comments:
1. IPE is not as bad to cut or rout as its reputation might lend one to think, but - 2. IPE splinters are nasty! Small but very strong and sharp. 3. Getting the boards to come together on the IPE clips requires a BUNCH of Bessey clamps to span 14'. Hook 'em plate to plate and just keep adding clamps. Had to use the old pipe clamps and 5' of pipe at one point. The boars weren't greatly off kilter, but 5/4 IPE does NOT bend across a 5 1/2 inch width willingly. 4. IPE clips are neat, look great, but they do take time to get in. 5. Round the corners off as you go if you don't want a nasty gash on your shin bone (DAMHIKT).
If anyone needs about 275 IPE clips (the ones with the SS insert) and the SS screws to go with them, drop me an email. I dicker easy!
Regards.
Tom Banes wrote:

And what a deck it is! It looks excellent Tom. Are you going to treat the wood at all or just let it weather to grey?
JP
JP:
Plan for now is to hit it with Messimers oil once a year. We'll see how that works going forward.
Regards.

Very nice Tom. I am getting ready to make my deck larger myself.

Certainly need sharp tools but it drills kije a dream.

Normally after you address the splinters at the cuts you will not have to worry any longer about them.

;~) See #2 above. oups too late.

Kije?
Anyway - yes.
Freud Dablo blade on the Milwaukee CS worked great. Freud forstner 3/8 bit for counter boring the holes in the edge boards for plugs - needed 2 after the first one started smoking in the hole.
I did find a legimate use for a belt sander though. Knocking off those sharp corners! That was NOT precision work!
On Mon, 29 May 2006 21:27:05 GMT, "Leon"

Ok, since we're on the subject, what is IPE???

Tim Taylor wrote:

See:
http://www.ipedepot.com /
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Many thanks!. I'll check it out when I have a little more time. I've got to something about my deck. It's in desperate need of repair.

Basically a Central American, Mexico, Iron Wood. Very hard and lasts a very long time outdoors, untreated.

Depot, Menards. But it's not is it? What is that fake wood stuff called? Composite??

The fake woods are composites but typically called by their brand names.

On Mon, 29 May 2006 15:33:32 -0500, Tom Banes

Nice work Tom.
Tom Banes wrote:

It looks nice in the pictures, but I really can't can't make a final determination from the pictures. I'll need to make a site visit. I'll probably bring a few friends, err, judges, so if you could have the coolers and keg ready to go and make sure the BBQ propane tank is full, that would be great. You obviously can't be home when the judges are delibirating - we've had problems with attempts at bribery. Just leave the food in the refrigerator and the key under a rock by the back door when you leave. Our decision will be messengered to you as soon as the hangover clears.
thank you
IPE Deck Association

Jacques:
Bonne chance, mon cher ami! But, the beer is cold. I'm sucking my fourth today, trying to replenish "precious bodily fluids" and I have a nice Sauterne chilled and ready for diner and SWMBO. So, bring on the judges, the grill is connected to the main and I have about 40# of venison from last year aging in the freezer. Stewed or chicken fried, your choice.
Remember the fallen and those who serve.
Regards.

RicodJour wrote:

I have this vision of Tom coming home to a deck stripped down to joists and beams.
Now that I think about it, I wonder if that type of theft has ever occurred? Teak, perhaps?
JP
JP:
As each board is held not just by the Ipe clip, but also by a bead of Gorilla Glue. The surviving perps (Texas has a really neat "castle defense" law, and a 10 guage loaded with home grown 00 buck is pretty impressive at ranges under 30 yards - like 18 .32 caliber round balls at ~1400 FPS) will end up chain sawing out 14 1/2 inch chunks. Not much gain there as it won't burn. Lots of pen blanks, or plane soles for Ron Knight though.
Regards.

Tom Banes wrote:

Oh yeah, buckshot'll do the trick, no question. We used to hunt with it in South Carolina, and dogs too. Nothing like standing in the middle of a cutdown praying that deer don't jump between you and Crazy Carl, who also liked to hunt with a 10-gauge.
JP
Not

Hunted that way while I was stationed at "Mother Rucker" in the 70's. Dogs and shotguns. Ugh! Our "Crazy Carl" (SFC Samson Guidroy in fact) was renowned for killing 2 foot pine saplings with a single shot 10 because he "heard a rustle". No one wanted to be within 200 meters of him or that bloody gun. Mostly his blood from the recoil, but who wants to ask where the stains come from? As an occifer, I got early choice on plots, but always passed until he had selected. I ain't stoopid, just illiterate.
Regards.