INSPIRED - Chess Pieces Routing Jig

I was very happy with the results of testing my two new router jigs. Since I first got the ideqa for them have been trying to figure out how to make a jig so I can rout out the figure part of t he banks too. I'm still thinking on that one. However, this evening I did suddenly get an inspiration on how to maybe make some to rout out my chess pieces. To show what I've got, scroll down to chess. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/JIGSPATTERNSSUCH /
I've been using thin nails to tack the patters on to the stock to be routed It's accurate, but takes more time to fasten the master down, or remove, then it does to rout. Time-consuming, and a bit of a pita. Seeing my test pieces from the bank jigs gave me an idea. I'm still working (thinking) on this one.
Hmm, just figured a better way, maybe, than what I'd been thinking. This will require a separate jig for each style piece. Instead of a pattern bit with a bearing on th end, I'm pretty sure I'll need one with the bearing at the base.
I'll need to rout out new masters, with an extension on the end. Then make a "box" on the entended end. I'll need to cut rectangles to be routed, slide them into the box, and have a cam clamp on the top of the box to hole the piece in place. Then route. The rectangles will be 1 7'8" wide, with length varrying according to which piee it is, to lessen waste. Or maybe just make them all the same size, to cut down on time and the irritation factor.
Then, once the piece is routed out, the end will be lopped off, and that will then be turned into an octagon to be the base for the piece just made.
I'll need to think on this a bit more mabe, and definitely get another bit, but Im thinking should work.
Now I'm thinking I may be able to do something aling these lines on my bank figures too, but that'll call for at least two jigs for each. Should be doo able tho. heh heh And it still ain't rocket science.
JOAT I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do them. - Picasso
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Almost as soon as I punched the send button I thought of an improvement. I'm thinking now I may be able to make new masters, with an extension, then slip them and the piece to be routed into a box, with one or two cam clamps, to hold them both in place. This may take awhile.
JOAT I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do them. - Picasso
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I think I've got a handle on it now. Simpler than the other two versions I'd though of. A box open at the bottom and one end, glued out of 1/2" ply. One side will be a cam clamp - still gos some left from some cam clamps I'd made but never assembled. Piece of ply inside, will put pressure on the master and routed piece, supplied by the cam clamp. I'll have some sort of piece running from side to side, and out holes in each side, as part of the piece inside, to keep it from getting lost. I'll go out tomorrow and start chopping up some ply scraps and gluing Mark I version up. Now to figure out how to include at least one popsicle stick, so it'll be official.
JOAT I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do them. - Picasso
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.