Inspiration: tail-vice for the budget-constrained

If, like me, you have a hard time shelling out $80-200 for something as simple as a vice...here's a $15 alternative that took a few hours to throw together:
http://christophermerrill.net/ww/shop/tailVice.html
In many ways, it cannot compare to the quality of a high-end vice (e.g. the $180 Veritas twin-screw tail vice), but it does the job for me!
(I do not claim any credit for the creativity of this solution, since I have heard it mentioned in several places...and seen it in more than one workshop.)
--
************************************
Chris Merrill
Chris Merrill wrote:

On 11 Nov 2003, Bay Area Dave chirrupped unto rec.woodworking:

Gesundheit.

Chris,
That looks *really* nice; thanks for posting the links.
I have a thought for you, about attaching the face: how about magnets, of the sort that LeeValley sells? (counter sunk into the back of the face, and epoxied?)
Anyway, that's a great solution, I'm a cheepbastuhd myself, I've book marked your page, and if I get time this winter, I want to implement something like you've done.
Regards, JT
Chris, I am a bit of a tight wad myself. Also I love to make tools. Great vice and enjoyed the website. Thanks!
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 19:14:39 GMT, Chris Merrill