Inspiration: tail-vice for the budget-constrained

If, like me, you have a hard time shelling out $80-200 for something as simple as a vice...here's a $15 alternative that took a few hours to throw together:

many ways, it cannot compare to the quality of a high-end vice (e.g. the $180 Veritas twin-screw tail vice), but it does the job for me!

(I do not claim any credit for the creativity of this solution, since I have heard it mentioned in several places...and seen it in more than one workshop.)

Reply to
Chris Merrill

Chris, I've got a few "vices", but only one WW vise. :)

dave

Chris Merrill wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

On 11 Nov 2003, Bay Area Dave chirrupped unto rec.woodworking:

Gesundheit.

Reply to
Scott Cramer

Chris Merrill wrote in news:zyasb.80071$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com:

I have a thought for you, about attaching the face: how about magnets, of the sort that LeeValley sells? (counter sunk into the back of the face, and epoxied?)

Anyway, that's a great solution, I'm a cheepbastuhd myself, I've book marked your page, and if I get time this winter, I want to implement something like you've done.

Regards, JT

Reply to
John Thomas

Reply to