Inside curve sanding - what do you use?

Page 1 of 2
Anyone use an oscillating spindle sander or is it a big paperweight?
Do you use sanding drums on your DP instead of the OSS?
Are the inflated drums cool or hype?
Or do you just, ugh, sand by HAND?
dave

I use an OSS. I have the Ridgid combo belt/spindle. Handy machine. Ed
"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message

Depends upon the type of woodworking you do. I use a lot of curved aprons, stretchers and other parts in my projects, so a dedicated machine is handy, a time saver, and consequently my B.O.S.S is used at least weekly. Used a drill press before that ... the DP works, but as any tool that is not designed for the task at hand, it left a lot to be desired.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/12/04

http://users.adelphia.net/~kyhighland

"Swingman" < snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com> wrote in message
Hey Dave,
I did the drill press with the sanding drums for about a year. PITA and to be avoided if at all possible, IMO. I'm sure you can do better than what I did, but it really needs a reasonably sized drill press table and a lot of patience. I found it easy to end up with little hollows by applying a bit too much pressure.
Now I'm using a OSS, but surprise surprise it's a Ryobi. It's the OSS500. It looks a little like a toy, honestly, but it performs VERY nicely. And it was only $89 at the orange Borg. $89! I've used it on about 6 projects now, probably 50 curved pieces and it hasn't missed a beat. Comes with a good assortment of drums, and the dust collection actually works very well. The table isn't as big as could be, but for $89 it is a very good value. I know, it's a Ryobi, but this particular tool has received kudos in a few woodworking magazines, and my experience has proven their advice well justified.
Mike

Dave, To me, it was no big deal until I made some Duncan Phyfe style chairs. I decided on the Jet, all steel and cast iron - no plastic. I now use it frequently. If forced to give it up and go back to the DP would make me very grumpy!!
Dave

Mike,
no need to be apologetic about it being a Ryobi. I've got one Ryobi which is a POS. I've got another, the sander that looks almost like a Bosch and it works great. I bought it over 12 years ago, and it's still on the market for about $100. I got a Delta disk/belt sander and it's just a hair above a "POS". For less money I could have gotten what APPEARS to be a well built Ryobi unit, also available at the big orange.
Can the OSS use pnuematic drums as well? Do you have to buy special paper for the OSS drums or do you just cut regular sheets down to wrap around? I've never looked at these units, as you can tell from the newbie nature of the questions.
ddave
Mike in Mystic wrote:

I'm not sure about the pneumatic drum question, but I don't think so. The sand paper is specific to OSS's and is similar to sleeve sandpaper used on belt sanders.
Mike

Doubtful and so far, not necessary for me. The Ryobi takes the same size spindles as quite a few other OSS's out there. For $99 I got a wide assortment of spindles (half a dozen'ish) and 3 grits for each size.
You can find replacement sandpaper everywhere from Ace, to HD to Woodcraft. So far I don't see a huge cost advantage to making my own sleeves.
If you have a Cummin's Tool Show come thru they have the sleeves in a bundle for about $20, bought one last time they were thru and can't wait till the next one.
--

http://users.adelphia.net/~kyhighland

> You can find replacement sandpaper everywhere from Ace, to HD to
Mike, looks like brocpuffs is giving you some smack about the Ryobi in a new thread, "Grizzly GO538 OSS! :)
dave
Mike in Mystic wrote:

hehe, I see that now.
Honestly, the shape of the table hasn't been that big an issue. I think it was actually thought out pretty well to minimize space requirements and still allow accurate sanding of reasonably sized pieces.
I used the sander to sand a 3 foot wide arch with about 3.5" between the apex and the ends and it worked just fine.
The Grizzly is probably fine, but then you have to pay shipping (most of us, anyway). That puts the price at about $133. Looking at the item on Grizzly's website, I dont' see how it is THAT much better than the Ryobi. For the money, which is what I said before, the Ryobi kicks the Grizzly's butt, IMO.
Mike

aha, the gauntlet is thrown down! <g>
dave
Mike in Mystic wrote:

I recently got the BOSS and am Happy with it, looked at a tools crib cat lastnight and its on sale for 189.00 I paid 199.99, no tax and opted for no freight thru Amazon.

Dave,
Although it sounds like you've been sold on the OSS, if you need any other reasons the DP isn't the best way to go I'd say add the fact that when you're done on it due to the non-oscillating nature of the DP you end up with nice little grooves in the side of your curves from the abrasives. I.e. you still have to sand it by hand when you're done.
I'm waiting for the spring thaw when garage sales and classifieds pick up again and then I'll go a looking. Although after Mike's review of the Ryobi, I might not even bother!
Mike

SWMBO got my Delta at a garage sale for my B'day last for "under $100" ... she didn't say how far under, but knowing her it was closer to $50. IIRC, it may have been part of a gloat at the time ... on SWMBO, not the tool. I've had one 20 years, and the other about 1, and wouldn't willingly trade either.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/12/04

pick up

the
IIRC, it

I've
I turned my own drums on my Vertilathe Used 4"dia, 3 1/2" and 3". I use these drums to sharpen my chisels also. Each wheel or wooden disc is 1 " thick and is made up of (1) 1/4 x20x2" hanger bolt, (1) 3/16 x 9/16 flat washer,(1) 1" strip of foam padding psa 9" long,1 strip of Klingspor psa emery paper (80 grit) 9" long and (1) chuck adapter (stand off) to fit on hangerbolt. Easy directions (Ha)
George http://vertilathe.freeyellow.com
Wasn't finished. The wheel of drum starts out with a 4" square block and turned down to a 3 1/2 dia. With band saw cut in cerf 1/2 deep and 1/8" wide to hold ends of sand paper. You out there, give it a try.
George http://vertilathe.freeyellow.com
Answer: it depends.
When possible, I like to flush trim curved pieces with a premade template and router. Then, I don't use the OSS on the finished piece. I sand by hand. Of course I often do use the OSS in the process of making the templates themselves, but even then hand sanding is almost always involved in getting shapes just right.
When not possible (usually due to thickness) to flush trim to shape, then yes I do use the OSS on the finished piece itself.
Inflated drums: never used 'em.
Brian.