Inresting Joint

John Burt, a very talented woodworker and blacksmith, showed me a very interesting joint today. Chinese/Japanese in origin, it is used to join wood end to end, especially suited to curves where grain direction = strength. Even without glue this joint will hold together with quite a bit of strength.

Drew it up when I got home and have posted a GIF file to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.

Though the illustration is for rectangular parts because it was easier to draw, imagine it subsequently shaped to a circular or ovalized cross section. With a little planning all the shaping can be done on side grain rather than a mix of side and end grain.

Just something to file away for future reference - or not.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Thanks (It's filed)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

It is interesting. But a wedged scarf joint is easier to make and may be even stronger. It is commonly used in timber framing to make long beams.

Photo posted on ABPW.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher