sealing question

Hi -

I have a flat 18"x20"x3/4" piece of birch ply edged with 3/4" maple that I'm going to use for a simple (portable) router table top. I live near Boston (humid summer, dry winter) and do my ww'ing in the basement. Even though I run a dehumidifier, wood I bring in the basement to sit for a few days will often twist (hardwoods not so much). Considering that this is quality plywood I'm wondering if there's any reason to apply a couple coats of poly for sealing purposes?

I also have a straight/sq piece of maple (2x3, two pieces of 1x3 glued together) I'll use for a simple fence - any reason for a couple coats of poly on that? I don't especially like poly (and prefer the feel of natural wood anyway) so unless it will make a big difference I'd rather not apply it to either of these.

Thanks...

Mike

Reply to
Mike Ballard

Being not to far from Boston myself and if this is to be a router table top I'd say you may want to consider the poly but not as a sealer but rather as smoother surface, especially when waxed, for other wood to slide over. It will also collect the inevitable scratches that are easier to remove from the finish then from the wood. Good luck

Reply to
Mike G

"Mike G" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

How do you feel about shellac and wax? Doesn't get much easier, to apply initially, or to repair, if needed...

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

"patriarch snipped-for-privacy@nospam.comcastDOTnet" How do you feel about shellac and wax? Doesn't get much easier, to apply

That would be my second choice. First would be a laminate top for smoothness. I'd use shellac for the edges and even the bottom for some protection.

I'd be as concerned about having a smooth surface to slide the part on as much as protection of the plywood. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Good thoughts.

Wax is certainly possible but I have to wonder if the wax would need new applications less frequently on a hard poly surface rather then a bare wood surface. Of course the nice thing about the thought is that one can try just the wax and if it doesn't work out move on to something else. It's a lot easier then backing away from a cured poly surface.

Shellac on a router table top? Maybe, if it is kept well waxed. Lets face it, as much as I like shellac, it isn't the best finish to resist abrasion scratches and a router table top does, by it's nature, have firmly held down wood, sliding across it as a matter of course.

About anything smooth that gets between the wood to wood contact would work it's just a matter of weighing the amount of upkeep the surface chosen will require considering the use the top will get. Another possibility would be smooth stick on floor tiles. Cheap and easily replaceable if they get dinged up.

Myself, if I ever get around to building another router table, the top is going to be Formica. It's hard, slick, and as a counter top material fairly resistant to scratching. And yes, it will be kept waxed.

Of course one has to remember to allow for the thickness of whatever you use when setting up the hole for the router and inserts..

Hope it helps.

Reply to
Mike G

Abrasion protection - good enough. Since you live in the area, and knowing the odd weather lately, is there much chance of absorption damage if I take the piece into the (enclosed) garage to put on the poly? The garage's weather is pretty much whatever is outside and this top has not been out of the basement (and I have gas furnace/water heater in the basement).

Mike

Reply to
Mike Ballard

The temperature has been less then ideal and the humidity a bit high so you might have to wait a bit longer for it to cure but it is suppose to be fairly nice this week end. If the weather reports are right try to get a coat on sat and sun.

Good luck.

Reply to
Mike G