Incra Router fence used instead of dovetail jig?

Hi people,

I read a review in a mag on different router fences. Seems like that Incra router fence is very capable. I am looking at building myself a router table as well as buying a dovetail jig. Does anyone know of experience if this Incra fence would replace a router jig very well? If it would I could just purchase this fence instead of building a router fence and I would have my dovetail jig built in. I ask this because sometimes these multipurpose tools are a jack of all trades but master of none............maybe I would be better off with both. Your input is appreciated. Regards. -Guy

Reply to
Guy LaRochelle

In my experience, if you need to make a drawer or two, then the Incra will do fine. But if you are planning on making a kitchen full of drawers, then get a dedicated dove tail jig. I love my Incra twin linear, but I also know it's limitatioins. It excels as repeated accurate fence placement. With that I can make dovetails, but a Leigh jig would be my choice to make a lot of dove tails.

Bernie

Reply to
Bernie Hunt

Bernie,

I take it that the Incra can do as good of a job but that it is mostly a time factor (the time it takes to make a drawer) that is the draw back. Would that be correct? Regards. -Guy

Reply to
Guy LaRochelle

Yes, the Incra Jig can replace a dovetail jig, a box joint jig, etc.

However, it is pricey

Also, be aware that Incra has just introduced their "new, improved 4th generation" positioner, the Incra LS.

You can get the Incra positioner for $!49 for the 16in, $169 for the

24inch model (positioner ONLY without any fence or tapes/templates) for those who are interested in doing this on a budget. The Incra LS Ultra package is more like $329

John

Reply to
John Crea

In my experience, you have it exactly right. Inca has great precision, but it is slower than batch processing using a dovetail jig.

Bob McBreen

Reply to
RWM

Hmmm, it probably is slower on batch processing but I watched a demo at the show today in Houston. He made an entire drawer with dado for the bottom, box joints for the back and double dovetails on the front. Took him about

10 minutes using precut stock.
Reply to
Bruce

I don't have the Incra but do have the JoinTech. If the parts are the same size I can gang cut the tails on the sides of three drawers (6 pieces) at the same time, flip the bundle over and do the other sides with one set up. New drawer sides height require a new set up but that takes about two minutes to do.

As I understand the Leigh DT jig and its cousins, you can only cut one part at a time, tails or pins. Gang cutting is out because of how the router bit is used to make the cuts. Cutting the tails on the Incra and JoinTech must be cut one at a time but the set up stays the same if the parts are the same size.

The precision positioned fence will ALSO do rabbets, stopped rabbets dadosm, stopped dados, tapered dados and stopped tapered dadoes along with tapering the male part to fit dovetail slots and tapered dovetail slots and the male parts to fit them

And if it has a separate infeed and outfeed fence - minor edge joining.

just some more to think about

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b