Imbuia?

AKA "Brazilian Walnut"...
I picked up a piece to use on a jewelry box I'm making for the daughter for Christmas. Very interesting figure and a very interesting smell that has filled the shop. Spicy...
A quick Google search reveals that like most exotics I should wear my breathing gear, but does anyone have any hints on working this wood?
How does it glue? Finish (I'm planning to use shellac)? Any cautions beyond not breathing the dust?
Dave Balderstone wrote:

The following is from "Wood Identification & Use" by Terry Porter Guild of Master Craftsman Publications ISBN 1-86108-377-7
"Imbuia Phoebe porosa (Lauraceae)
From Southern Brazil
Hase been compared to American walnut (Juglans nigra)
Works well with both had and machine tools, but the grain is liable to pick up during planing unless a reduced cutter angle is used. Wood nails, screws and glues well and it can be stained and polished to a high finish.
Medium to small movement in service.
The sawdust can be an irritant to te nose, eyes and skin"
charlie b

Beauty.
Thanks, Charlie.
I'm going to use it as base and top trim with cherry for the box. The grain is gorgeous.
I guess it varies from person to person, but I had an EXTREME and immediate allergic reaction to the sawdust from that wood. Within 20 seconds of the first cut, my nostrils, sinus passages and throat slammed shut, I gagged and coughed and sneezed violently, my eyes itched to holy heaven. It was all I could do to kill the saw and get out of the shop until the dust settled.
Be careful.
-jbb

"J.B. Bobbitt" wrote:

Interesting. I have a similar reaction when I work with Ipe but have no reaction to Imbuia.

I had a histamine reaction to cocobolo a number of months back, so I'm cautious with any of the exotics.
But based on your experience, perhaps I'll do a first cut and wait a bit to see if I react.
Thanks for the info. I'd already planned to use the breathing mask, I'll add goggles and log sleeves to the equation.
Dave Balderstone wrote:

Imbuia glues up without any problems as it is not an oily wood. It finishes wonderfully with shellac (I prefer super blond to bring out the natural beauty of the wood). In my opinion it is much darker and richer looking than American black walnut.

I still have some superblond flakes, and that's what I was planning on using.
Thanks, Jack.

The last time I cut some up was in 1978 and I can still smell it. One thing I did notice was how quickly the piece I had turned dark, so it should be finished as soon as possible.