I share their pain

My wife was watching last night's Trading Spaces Family which was taped here in Tallahassee. She called me in to hear one of the folks on the show telling another that she had planned to build a mahogany table but found that "you can't buy mahogany in Tallahassee on Saturday." Boy, don't I know it.

The only hardwood available in Tallahassee on Saturday is the red oak and poplar available at the blue or orange home centers. The only place that sells any other hardwoods is closed on Saturday.

Dick Durbin

Reply to
Dick Durbin

I drove all over hell and back to find some maple on new years eve, as it tured out I could have gotten it at the place I usually go but I wanted to try some other places. Well, two were closed, one of the new places sucked...but in the end I did get to build on new years and that is all that matters. Minneapolis if you wondering.

Mike

Dick Durb> My wife was watching last night's Trading Spaces Family which was

Reply to
Mike Coonrod

I can see Sunday but Saturday? Fridays and Saturdays are the days to sell big. Around here any store like that not open at least in the morning probably won't be around long.

Reply to
Young_carpenter

Didj'a see the one where Hildi takes a nice room and covers it in cardboard? Turns out, our neighboor is the sister of the husband in that episode. That one was sooo painful to watch, we haven't turned on Trading Spaces since...

Reply to
mttt

The best place around here to get hardwoods is Acadian Hardwoods, and it is closed on weekends. They won't go out of business any time soon because, regardless of their hours, they are the only place to get exotics, bulk hardwoods, and custom cuts and molding. It is pretty darn inconvenient, though.

Reply to
TexasFireGuy

I'm envisioning this on a T-shirt.

UA100, wondering, what else can't you get in Tallahassee on a Saturday...

Reply to
Unisaw A100

My wife and I felt horrible after we saw that episode. It is not enough that they cover the room in cardboard, they then need to light a lot of candles...

Candles! Just what you need on cardboard furniture (in a cardboard room). What were they planning for an encore? Burning down their house?

Hildi: "I transformed their blah surburban home into the latest chic "char" finish. The scorched look is IN."

Plus they ruined the walls by attaching the cardboard with liquid nails.

I thought the home owners showed remarkable composure in dealing with the crew. Kudos to them!

Reply to
Mike

ROFLMAO... I stopped watching when she nailed moss to some poor sap's walls, but this tops it.

Reply to
Victor Radin

Nobody is forced to participate. And you know it's going to be something quick, cheap and quirky. Mind you - I can remember a few _very_ unhappy people on the British version. The NZ version had slightly less flaky designers.

Reply to
Don Mackie

The place is Ro-Mac Lumber. They have been around since 1946. Hardwoods are actually a very small part of their business. They are mostly a building supply house that caters to contractors.

Reply to
Dick Durbin

Yes! They held up very well. True, that no one is *forced* to participate and true, everyone know's it's entertainment.

Interesting side note, is that did you notice the wonderful bed (IIRC) that Tai (sp?) built for them on that episode. Rumor I heard was he knew immediately that Hildi was about to ruin a perfectly good room and felt very bad for the homeowners and decided to build something as nice as he could.

Also have heard, homeowners were going to auction off the bed (with his blessing) in an attempt to recover the costs of pulling all of the crap off the ruined walls.

Don't know if that's fact or fiction.

Reply to
mttt

A virgin? :)

...at least while schools in.

(My sincere apology to all Free Shoes U...err...FSU fans out there.)

Rob

Reply to
Rob Walters

Or, as my FSU graduate kids call it, Half-Ass U.

Reply to
Dick Durbin