Seed Trading feedback

Hi, I'm Looking for feedback on what features are important for a seed or plant trading website.

I'd like to know if there are any good web sites that people have tried and have had good experience with? Are there newsgroups that specialize in trading? Any Books or FAQs that help the uninitiated like myself

My wife set up a site last week mostly as chance to play around with some open source software technologies. Our choice of a seed/plant website was probably a little odd as although we are keen gardeners, neither of haver ever really traded before.

But we'd really like to set something that would be useful (and free) to the casual seed trader. Your candid feedback would be very much appreciated

Thanks! Conor

Conor Redmond

G'day Conor, Here's a few Aussie sites that may give you some ideas and links. The first is a 'not for profit' organisation, the other two are commercial, but pretty 'low key'.

Wingham NSW

Reply to
China

Thanks Mate, thats great info, I was impressed with the

site in particular how you could look up local seed networks based on state or province. We're trying to do something similar for our own site. We thought it would be useful to go down to a even fine grain of granularity and find people selling or giving away plants in your local zip code. That way you can just drive up and take em away, kinda like a garage sale.

right now our site is just based on US Zip codes but the Canada, US and UK zip codes are not too disimilar so give us a few weeks and who knows what we'll available ;)

Conor Redmond

Conor Redmond

G'day again Conor, Glad you liked it, they are pretty keen people and your plans sound interesting. I would just be a bit careful not to be to ambitious with the early website. If you go for something that is overly sophisticated and can not be maintained 'in-house', it could get expensive very quickly, making it hard to offer a sustainable, inexpensive or volunteer service. Clearly some of their many volunteers are HTTP savvy. Go for it!

China Wingham NSW

p.s. Amateurs built the Ark. It took professionals to build the Titanic!

Reply to
China