I Set My Teeth, Again

Any chance you just don't have a long enough fence? Tough to control that last 1" properly, at least on my bandsaw- and it almost always tends to be my error. Watching carefully, I found that that little jog at the end was coming from pushing on the back corner furthest from the fence to feed the piece, and that was causing it to rotate just a little around the last inch or so- kind of like the blade was acting as a pivot. Using a push stick in line with the blade seemed to help a bit, though it didn't do the push stick any favors.

I usually use the barrel of a phillips screwdriver, myself. Tweak a little, test on scrap, tweak some more, ad nausem. I figure it saves me about $10 on every blade if I just get the Farm and Fleet ones, and play with them for a little bit. That, and like you said, it's good for ya.

Reply to
Prometheus

It don't matter what you say, it's not even getting through. SOME people type for the sake of typing, others are sincere when they ask how do I, how can I. This cantankerous old fool.....nevermind.

Reply to
Tim Taylor

Fri, Jul 28, 2006, 3:45pm locutus snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Locutus) doth sayeth: You must know some secrets, as you're probably the only person in this group who knows how to "fune" a bandsaw. See what happens when you make fun of someones spelling/typo errors? Comes back to bite you in the ass!

You pluck the blade and you get a musical note. If that ain't tuning I don't know what is.

Ah, a spelling error. I thought it was a grammering error. My error.

JOAT Politician \Pol`i*ti"cian\, n. Latin for career criminal

Reply to
J T

Fri, Jul 28, 2006, 2:15pm (EDT-2) dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca (Dave=A0Balderstone) doth clameth: The mistake many people with JOAT's posts is thinking he actually wants some sort of response to them.

99 times out of 100, he wants no such thing but is just posting for the sake of posting. Unless there's actually a "?" in his post, assume he wants no reply whatsoever and that he will respond snarkishly to same.

Well that's an interesting opinion. Unless I specifically ask a question, I'm not really after responses, just as you say; however, it doesn't bother me if people do respond. Didn't know "snarkishly" is a word. But if the occassion calls for it.

JOAT Politician \Pol`i*ti"cian\, n. Latin for career criminal

Reply to
J T

Fri, Jul 28, 2006, 2:44pm (EDT-2) dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca (Dave=A0Balderstone) doth claimeth: He was a lot more fun a few years ago. Then he got pissed off at the group, told us he was leaving, and didn't.

I thought I'd gotten burned out. I'm still not really back, if I was I'd be posting free plans on a daily basis. Its just not much fun here anymore. I may well take a break again, jjust got a book I've been waiting for: How To Rebuild And Modify Rochester Quadrajet Carburetors. Could even be considered woodworking related - because I could use a plywood spacer under it - for those of you that don't know, it's an accepted practice, and works.

JOAT Politician \Pol`i*ti"cian\, n. Latin for career criminal

Reply to
J T

Fri, Jul 28, 2006, 7:02pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@business.org (Prometheus) doth state: Any chance you just don't have a long enough fence? Using a push stick in line with the blade seemed to help a bit, though it didn't do the push stick any favors. =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 I usually use the barrel of a phillips screwdriver, myself. like you said, it's good for ya.

Fence? I'm supposed to have a fense now? Nope, no fence. Never thought about one. Just using the small sled I made. Fence, eh? I'll ave to think on that one. Push sticks are born as sacrifices.

Interesting. Never thought about sumpthin' like that. I've got the saw set, so will probably stick with it. But if I didn't have it I think next time I'd use a body hammer on the edge of a chunk of rail. That or grind a pair of pliers. It's all good.

JOAT Politician \Pol`i*ti"cian\, n. Latin for career criminal

Reply to
J T

Fri, Jul 28, 2006, 8:17pm snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Tim=A0Taylor) doth burble: It don't matter what you say, it's not even getting through. SOME people type for the sake of typing, others are sincere when they ask how do I, how can I. This cantankerous old fool.....nevermind.

Apparently. You seem to be confused, You quoted Prometheus, so I take it your post is directed at him Terrible things to say about him and terrible names to call him.

However, on the off chance you were trying to direct your post toward me, I will attempt to make it clear to you.

I posted about something I had done, something that worked for me. I paid for the blade, so I could do what I wanted with it. You probably would have really gone ballistic if you'd read my thread about using a power planer on a chunk of wood in a running lathe. Now that one was fun.

There was "no" question asked by me, so don't know where you came up with that. I'm not old, and "I'm" not the fool. You might want to look up cantankerous too. Have a nice next life.

JOAT Politician \Pol`i*ti"cian\, n. Latin for career criminal

Reply to
J T

I learned something new today. What does the spacer do? I'm sure it changes the air flow characteristics and maybe changes the way the fuel and air mixes?

Keeping it wood related, is "Baltic birch best?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Another of my fav subjects .... owned V8 holdens since '71. Yes the ply spacer is a 'common' practice for the Quadrajet but there are much more successful (ie more permanent solutions) for the spacer. If you have any luck in getting one to run as well as when it was new let me know because that is something that I and anyone I know have never succedded in doing

I thought I'd gotten burned out. I'm still not really back, if I was I'd be posting free plans on a daily basis. Its just not much fun here anymore. I may well take a break again, jjust got a book I've been waiting for: How To Rebuild And Modify Rochester Quadrajet Carburetors. Could even be considered woodworking related - because I could use a plywood spacer under it - for those of you that don't know, it's an accepted practice, and works.

JOAT Politician \Pol`i*ti"cian\, n. Latin for career criminal

Reply to
Paul D

Sat, Jul 29, 2006, 4:47am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@snet.net (Edwin=A0Pawlowski) doth query: I learned something new today. What does the spacer do? I'm sure it changes the air flow characteristics and maybe changes the way the fuel and air mixes? Keeping it wood related, is "Baltic birch best?

Hi Ed. Not going into great detail, yep, thatt's the theory. In reality you basically have to try it to see if it works. On one engine combio you might get significant increased torque and horsepower; and on a similar combo you might get less, or even none. On one a 1" spacer might work better then a 2", and vicey versey, or you might be better off with none at all. You can buy one for maybe $10-20, or make your own - personally, it'd be more satisfying to make my own. And, yeah, probably Baltic birch would be best. Once I get my project up and running I figure it's worth a try. However, while a 1/4" spacer probably wouldn't do anything for the air flow, it will keep heat transfer to the carb down, which in itself will be good, so that might be the best way to go. Just gotta try and see. I'm thinking a bit of plywood here and there too, and yellow paint somewhere. Hehehe

JOAT Politician \Pol`i*ti"cian\, n. Latin for career criminal

Reply to
J T

Hey Ed, here's a bit more info.

You can read it all, it's not that long, or just find plywood.

In my case, with my paricular engine combo, I think simply minimizing heat transfer to the carburetor may benefit me more than anything. But it don't matter, it are all good for the soul, and I'll probably 'spearmint. Do you think a plywood spacer painted yellow would work best? LMAO

JOAT Politician \Pol`i*ti"cian\, n. Latin for career criminal

Reply to
J T

Sun, Jul 30, 2006, 1:16am (EDT+14) snipped-for-privacy@Somewhere.net (Paul=A0D) doth sayeth: Another of my fav subjects =A0 .... owned V8 holdens since '71. Yes the ply spacer is a 'common' practice for the Quadrajet but there are much more successful (ie more permanent solutions) for the spacer. If you have any luck in getting one to run as well as when it was new let me know because that is something that I and anyone I know have never succedded in doing

Yeah, a V8 sounds sooo much better than those irritatiing little fours. I love Q-Jets, good economy, until you kick in those secondaries, and get that lovely sound. Had one on the '73 Nova, and it worked well - engine later dropped into my son's Blazer. My '78 El Camino came with a new spread-bore Edelbrock carb. Spread-bore, yes, but not even close to a Q-Jet, the primaries are only marginally smaller than the secondaries, and the secondaries aren't that large. Works well enough, but not a Q-Jet by any means. Q-Jets are largely misunderstood, which is the main reason people can't set them up right. This looks like a good book, and I have high hopes for it. About $16 from Amazon. Oh, I just bought the book, have nothing to do with it otherwise.