I MADE SOME SAWDUST CLAY

I used the 2 parts sawdust, 1 part flour, add water, recipe. Did this about a week ago. Just made up a little. Used too much water, so took about 3 day to properly. Turned out pretty good. Mix up a bunch (without the water), it'll get rid of a lot of sawdust for you, and if you give it to someone that thinks they can sculpture, it's a really cheap gift.

Or, you can mix up a bunch (no water again), and give it to a child care center, kindergarten, or similar, and it's a nice warm fuzzy gift, give the kids some fun, and a good way to get rid of sawdust. I'd screen it, for splinters, just-in-case.

I only mixed up about a small handful, just to try it. Seems like it would be pretty durable, one it's dried out well, and maybe painted. Not sure how it would sand, I'm thinking use finer sawdust, and it might be OK. I think too, with real fine sawdust, it might make a decent wood filler - but, I'd want to test it first.

JOAT Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Reply to
J T

Sawdust, flour and water, been there, done that, as a child. It is not very strong, does not last more than a couple of days without growing mould, cannot be used in thick layers without turning sour or going mouldy before it dries. I would not give it to anyone as a gift, as it has such limited uses and useable life. Fine for playing with yourself or for your own child where you can control its use and check it for turning bad.

Reply to
EXT

Here is a slightly modified formula.

2 c. sawdust 1 c. flour 1 tbsp. glue Hot water or liquid starch

Moisten with water or starch until modeling consistency is reached. Will dry hard, may be painted

Reply to
Eternal Pesimist

That's a new one.

Reply to
CW

Sun, Oct 16, 2005, 5:07pm etonks@sunstormADD-DOT-COM (EXT) who doth sayt: Sawdust, flour and water, been there, done that, as a child. It is not very strong, does not last more than a couple of days without growing mould, cannot be used in thick layers without turning sour or going mouldy before it dries.

Well, I can't say I play with myself. Strength isn't an issue. What I mixed up is solid, isn't getting moldy, doesn't seem to be sour (don't know what you mean by sour even). No problem if it happens anyway, give it to a kid(s), let 'em play with it, toss it after, give a fresh batch next time.

If you're not happy with that recipe, then give us a recipe that won't do all those bad things your're complaining about.