I finally found a good use for old CD's.

Page 1 of 2

I have several dozen old AOL CD's that I have kept just because I figured someday I would find a good use for them. Well today I did find ONE good way to use them. I needed a new filter for my old 5HP Sears Shopvac. When I put it back together I couldn't find the old Filter disc. I am afraid I accidentally left it on the old filter and it was thrown in the trash ( trashday was yesterday). I got out my compass to measure the size of the circle I would need so I could make a new disc on my scroll saw and drill press. I just happened to have a music CD laying on top of the computer and VIOLA the CD was almost exactly the size I needed and the hole in the middle was the right size also. I put an old AOL CD in place and I have been using the shop vac all morning and it works great. Now if I can just find a few other things the old CD's are good for. . . . Dennis
I hang them from strings in my vegetable garden to keep the birds out. Puff

Puff Griffis wrote:

And I do the old microwave thing from time to time when I don't have anything particularly useful to do at the moment. AOL et al keep me in regular and cheap entertainment.

That's rather hard on the microwave though
Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
Ralph E Lindberg wrote:

Thanks for the warning. I mean, ever since I found hair growing on my palms I learned to take such cautions seriously.
Seriously though, I suppose all that snap crackle pop *might* come at some expense. But why and how is it hard on a microwave?
Joe Barta
The Joe Barta entity posted thusly:

Much, if not all, of that noise is caused by arcing inside the magnetron (the part that actually produces the microwave energy).
On 12/31/2005 10:58 AM Ralph E Lindberg mumbled something about the following:

Not at all, doesn't harm it one bit.
--
Odinn - hundreds of CD's microwaved in my $49 microwave with no ill effect.

Sigh... do you know what a Standing Wave Ratio (SWR)is? Do you know what a bad SWR means to a tranmission tube? Have you read the manual about putting metal in the microwave? Do you know that it's the metal in the CD that causes this reaction?
Why do I think the answer to the above questions are no
Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
On 1/1/2006 11:26 AM Ralph E Lindberg mumbled something about the following:

Funny how one of my microwaves has a metal rack in it, and it doesn't say to remove it to use the microwave. Do try again.
--
Odinn

On 1/1/2006 1:32 PM Odinn mumbled something about the following:

I'll give you a hint though. The warning isn't because of damage to the magnatron.
--
Odinn - another hint is at http://amasci.com/weird/microwave/voltage3.html

I have an old huge Panasonic convection microwave that is still my #1 kitchen appliance. Because it is also convection this thing has accidentally microwaved tons of metal. I even miked a 10 stack of CDs at once, now that was a show.<g> It works as well now as it did new nearly 20 years ago.
On 1/1/2006 2:58 PM snipped-for-privacy@home.now mumbled something about the following:

I haven't tried a stack of 10 at a time, but I'm sure it would be quite a show.
Have you tried the grape plasma arc yet? http://c3po.barnesos.net/homepage/lpl/grapeplasma /
Nice show, especially if you have the lights off in the house.
--
Odinn - even boiling water in a microwave is dangerous

Try a marshmallow -- it'll swell up almost as large as a tennis ball. If you have a microwave with variable power levels, the marshmallow will expand and shrink, expand and shrink as the magnetron cycles on and off.
--
Regards,

I keep my table saw blades on a wood dowel and space them with CD's to keep teeth from touching. Also can use as spacers with a dado blade. Warren
I keep my table saw blades on a wood dowel and space them with CD's to keep teeth from touching. Also can use as spacers with a dado blade. Warren ******************************************************************************************* That is a great idea Warren. Thanks
Warren Weber wrote:

Damn, why didn't I think of that. I've been using three thin wood strips between blades (blades laid horizontal on an upright dowel) in a drawer. Think I'll do some replacing.

They make a great survival/signalling mirror. I don't go too far into the wilderness without a couple packed away.
Barry Lennox
Somewhere online I saw a very cool (and apparently very heavy) lamp made from a ~12" stack of these with a cold cathode light tube through the middle. The light shines out through the edges for a nice diffuse effect.

Cool. I've been pirating junk from the net for ten years. I burn 3-4 DVDs a day now. I collect it like stamps. I have at least 6000 CD/DVDs most are junk now. That would be a stack about 40 feet high.
I wonder if I made a light post for my front step how long it would shine exposed to the weather. Could I drill out the center and put in a long flourecent light? I'm thinking of making a lit post and a mailbox on top of that completely out of CDs.
I use them for tons of other stuff. You can cut them and heat bend them into fan shapes that spin like crazy in the wind. Scares away critters from the garden.

Most of what you have burned is "junk now" yet you still burn "3-4 DVDs a day"? I mean, we all collect and accumulate bits of crap we find on the internet, but if we figure 4.7 Gb per disc, that's like 15 GIGAbytes of stuff per day! You are trying to set a record? What on earth could you be collecting at that rate?